TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawstudent0303

Distinguished Member
Dec 8, 2022
hey everyone! quick question about latham vac scheme applications.

do we have to complete the behavioural assesment by the deadline? if so, what time is the deadline?

does the behaviour assessment include a video assessment at the end? i couldn't find any information about this on their website but someone on the forum said so.

thank you and best of luck with your applications :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi is anyone familiar with Freshfields' 8 seat system? I'm just wondering how helpful it is for feeling like you have actually learned new skills in a seat given that it is so short and if the short seat time would limit me if I moved to another firm in the future.
You don’t necessarily change seat every 3 months. There will be some three month seats, but some will be six months.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
What's the general approach towards shortening firm's names in applications? For instance, would it be fine to put "one reason I would choose to train at Latham & Watkins (Latham)" and then refer to the firm as "Latham" throughout? Or is it preferable to stick with the full name of the firm, as outlined in the original question?

Reactions: Seven

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
hey everyone! quick question about latham vac scheme applications.

do we have to complete the behavioural assesment by the deadline? if so, what time is the deadline?

does the behaviour assessment include a video assessment at the end? i couldn't find any information about this on their website but someone on the forum said so.

thank you and best of luck with your applications :)
I know the deadline is 23:59pm tonight, so if they're still accepting written applications up to that point, I imagine you have a few days after the deadline to complete the behavioural assessment. I think someone mentioned having 3 days elsewhere, but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: lawstudent0303

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
What's the general approach towards shortening firm's names in applications? For instance, would it be fine to put "one reason I would choose to train at Latham & Watkins (Latham)" and then refer to the firm as "Latham" throughout? Or is it preferable to stick with the full name of the firm, as outlined in the original question?
Your initial thought is right.

Reactions: laby201

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Look at how the firm writes it on their marketing materials and generally go with this format. For instance, L&W use Latham on their own website, and therefore it is ok to use:

IMG_5886.jpeg

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
Considering that the deadline for the Bird & Bird vacation scheme is in a few days, is it still worth it to apply? I know the applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
I can’t speak specifically for Bird & Bird, but in previous cycles I’ve known many people to submit last minute rolling applications at firms and go far through stages and some even being offered the VS. In my opinion it’s always worth it. They wouldn’t set these final deadlines and keep applications open if they weren’t considering candidates applying at this time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Oh but on their website it says it's an 8 seat training programme so how else do they break it down? It's a very weird approach tbh
They have referred to it as 8-seat for nearly two decades, but trainees very rarely do 8 seats. Somewhere between 4-6 is most common.

There is just the opportunity to rotate every 3 months, but many trainees will want to do six month seats where they can.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.