TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

livrobertson

Premium Member
Sep 23, 2023
Hey @livrobertson,

I would not worry especially because you emailed them and they are aware of the situation, and you also included the original text so I would say you did everything you could have done. It probably was an issue caused by the website. I am pretty sure that law firms are very understanding with things like this.

Last year when I was applying I faced some issues with some application forms and I have always reached out the firm in question for clarification or to update them on some issue I had filling out the form with the correct information and they were all super supportive and understanding of the situation.

Do not worry too much and good luck with the application!!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate this!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
Can someone clarify what 'within 5 days' means for completing the DLA WG?

I got the link yesterday (11th) at 2 pm, will I be okay doing the test on the 15th? And do I need to make sure I complete it before 2 pm on the 15th or is any time on that day okay?

I'm definitely overthinking but just want to get some more practice in...
I don’t think you have to do it by 2pm. How I would count it, the 15th would be the 4th day.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Everything can be asked by the interviewer so you should be prepared to answer any kind of motivations or competency based question or commercial question. When I was applying I used to prepare on everything even though I knew what they would have asked just because I felt more confident that way. I think it is a good practice too since you can use what you have prepared to answer questions you might not even have expected.

Personally, I would deem a question regarding a current news as a commercial question since they will try to understand if you have fully comprehended the piece of news you are talking about but also see what you think/know about the topic at hand (if asked).

Good luck with your interview and congratulations for reaching that stage if you did!!
    Thank you!

I had one more question. If asked "what practice area interests you" or "why x firm" how much detail would you go into?
    i have timed myself and for "why x" i speak for 3 minutes covering secondment, culture, sectors etc.
    As for "what practice area interests you" i speak for about 2.5 minutes touching on 3 areas of interest with a current case that interests me.

would you say this is too long and can be classed as waffling?

user254

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2020
    As long as you got the main points out, I don’t think it should be a problem. If you only had about 20 seconds left of points to make then it’s not too bad. If you still had 1 minute plus left of points to make then I’d be a bit worried
    Were all your Q’s scenario based like the practice question? Someone on here messaged me and said they had more standard interview Qs e.g why law, why the firm etc. so worried mine were so different!

Zaakir

Valued Member
    May 9, 2023
    Guys not to stress anyone out but if anyone was wondering about HL Lift Off, I messaged one of the members of GR and they said that the successful applicants have been contacted already. I know I was wondering about it so hopefully this satisfies someone's curiosity lol :)
    That’s not true- I was at their open day and they were literally screening candidates during the day

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.