TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre Can I ask for the question " Please add any supplementary educational information including extra study and international qualifications.", does it means I should add some summer school/ exchange programme? But if I do not have any these experience, can I just write some online courses and skills I have learnt?
I personally do not think this section refers to online courses or certificates you have obtained outside of your undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree, rather it it a space for those candidates who have international qualifications when it comes to high school diploma or university (that was my case last year). Here, you would include the marking scale for your country and the overall grade you obtained and how it would translate in A levels or classification at university (i.e. a first class, two one etc).

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello, I did an assessment centre for a firm last year and I am rewriting my "why firm" question to reapply this year. I was wondering whether it is appropriate to mention something that the partner said during my AC that inspired me and made me want to train at the firm.
thank you!
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
I think that it is something you can definitely discuss an interview setting, however I would not put it in a written answer as it might go against you and make the reader a bit biased since you did not pass the assessment centre. In my opinion, your application should present you as a more prepared and deserving candidate, and during the interview stage, you can discuss this and also answer why you were not successful the previous year. I think it is important for you to not give them the chance to reject you based on this, so I would keep it for a face-to-face interaction with the firm.

However, this is just my personal opinion. If you feel like what the partner said will distinguish you from any other candidate, then you can mention it. it really is up to you and what you feel will help or hinder you during the process.

I hope that helps and good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I got a rejection today from Latham for their Spring Vac scheme. In the email however, it stated 'Thank you for your application to the Summer Vacation Scheme at Latham & Watkins'. Do I respond and say I applied for the spring scheme, despite the rejection. I know this would not change the outcome but I do feel that it is a bit unprofessional from the firm that they have gotten back to me about the wrong scheme. Any thoughts? :/
As others pointed out, I personally do not feel like it is necessary to respond to these kind of emails. The law firms get so many applicants, automated responses like this are to be expected and should not be taken too seriously. I would take the rejection and focus on your next applications. The same thing happened to me last year and I used that rejection to apply to firms that I ended up receiving training contracts from so use your motivations and passion to apply to more firms.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I'm in the processing of completing a last minute Bird & Bird app. Seeing people are receiving AC invites and have progressed to VIs, is this just a waste of my time?
Is it worth still applying to Bird & Bird seeing as ppl have gotten AC invites?
Do not reject yourself from opportunities but let the firms reject you after you have tried your best, always. This is the philosophy I had when I was applying last year. Deadlines are there for a reason, but before the deadline, all bets are off and so I would encourage you to apply and put your best foot forward, working hard on the application you end up submitting. You never know that that might be the training contract you end up accepting at the end of the process.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
First positive response this cycle - Dechert VI and Written Assessment invite! (Spring Vacation Scheme)

If anyone has any tips, please feel free to reach out!
Congratulations!! This is an amazing news and you deserve it! You should be so proud of yourself!

Some tips for the video interview:
  • Treat the video interview as a real interview. This means dress to impress and speak naturally in front of the camera like you would be speaking to a partner or an associate at the law firm. Graduate Recruitment here wants you to be yourself throughout the assessment and I believe that the people that pass the video interview stage are able to be themselves during the interview. Use your hands if you would normally do and pretend you are speaking to someone in the room with you.
  • Do your research on the assessments. This means contacting future trainees or people that went through the process so that you can understand what they have done to pass this stage and how you can best prepare yourself for Dechert's assessments. Although general tips help, nothing beats the help of someone who actually did the assessment and was successful with it too!
  • Smile at all times during the video interview. You really want to come off as someone is friendly, outgoing and easy to talk to. I know that it might seem unnatural especially in front of a screen, but you should pretend to be speaking to a friend on a video call. This will help you being relaxed and yourself throughout the process.
  • Prepare your why this firm answer as this is one of the most common questions that might come up in the video interview stage for any law firm.
  • here is is the link to the post I just made with some questions that might come up: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491
    Good luck with the video interview!

Some tips for the written assessment:
  • This is usually writing an email or analysing a case study and answer some questions on it. To prepare, I would practice writing formal emails to friends and family and have them review your answers. This is something I have practiced close to my assessments to some firms and it really helped me understand how my formal and professional writing was perceived by others and if I was using the correct sentences to address the reader and the language used.
  • Focus on attention to detail. A lot of points are always lost because people do not focus on the basics. This should be your starting point. The basics should be all covered and perfectly written. This means that the language used has to be appropriate for the person you are writing to and the way you address the client or partner you have to send the email or assessment to. Once the basics have been taking cared of, you can focus on adding more information that might help you excel.
I hope these tips help and good luck with the assessment!

Reactions: Jaysen and Ali A

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
if an application question says 'tell us about a recent news article you found interesting' do i interpret this as commercial related? or something i can link back to the firm in some way?
You should discuss something that is interesting to you or something you feel quite comfortable about. This is extremely important because you might be asked to discuss further with a partner or an associate during the interview and you do not want to be in the position to discuss something super technical that you only researched for the application but that you are not necessarily familiar with.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Feeling blessed today :) Good luck everyone we've got this

Jones Day AC invite (deferred from winter), Mishcon AC, Bird & Bird AC + CMS VI. All in the last 2 days.

Nice change after the Slaughters PFO on Wednesday which I felt went really well.
Congratulations!! This is amazing and you are doing so well! Keep it going!

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
Hi, I was just wondering, if I got through to a firm's VI stage last year, and re-applying this year, and their questions for their application are essentially the same, can I more or less copy paste my answers from last year (with some minor edits), or will it be flagged up as plagiarism?
Thanks!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.