TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it bad to reference an old deal (2016) in your application even if its the deal that best supports the point you're making?
I would say that 2016 is very old, I would try and find a more recent deal, within the year or as recent as 2022. I am sure you can find something that can substantiate what you are saying!

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023
@Jessica Booker, one of the Debevoise questions asks us to 'indicate if there is a preferred practice area that interests' us as part of the application questions. It has a 250 word limit but I can't tell whether it's inviting a deeper explanation about why that practice area is of interest, or whether it simply wants a basic response. What do you think?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Bit of a random question but why do some firms choose not to disclose their female/bme statistics? Is it because of the obvious - that they're lacking in that department or is it another reason?
Firms don’t have to declare anything really - they are private companies and have no requirement to publicise such information, in the same way they don’t have to publicise their retention rates, their profits/PEP, their strategy etc.

All regulated firms in England and Wales have to report on their diversity data to the SRA every two years, so for the vast majority of firms they will have this data to hand somewhere.

Remember you can always ask them this information at events or during the recruitment process though if it is important to you.

Amehta1

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 4, 2023
    Is anyone yet to get the WG from Bird and Bird? I applied on the deadline and don’t know if I should be assumed to be rejected if I haven’t received the test by now since other people have already completed it?

Reactions: 0livia.pope

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    Cleary is requesting an academic transcript as part of their vacation scheme application - anyone know if they only want your university transcript or do we have to include A-level and GCSE transcripts as well?

I don't currently have access to transcripts for my A-level and GCSE exams, although I do my have my certificates. I've emailed them regarding this issue, but I'm not sure how quick their response will be.

@Jessica Booker, I would really appreciate some insight on this.

Reactions: axelbeugre

kcr

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2022
    Cleary is requesting an academic transcript as part of their vacation scheme application - anyone know if they only want your university transcript or do we have to include A-level and GCSE transcripts as well?

I don't currently have access to transcripts for my A-level and GCSE exams, although I do my have my certificates. I've emailed them regarding this issue, but I'm not sure how quick their response will be.

@Jessica Booker, I would really appreciate some insight on this.
    I don’t have access to my A-Level transcripts either but I have uploaded my university transcripts and included my A-Level grades on a separate page.

Reactions: coucou

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Is anyone yet to get the WG from Bird and Bird? I applied on the deadline and don’t know if I should be assumed to be rejected if I haven’t received the test by now since other people have already completed it?
    It took two and half weeks for me to get mine as they review your app first so fingers crossed!!! - last year because of the rolling deadline they p much blanket rejected everyone who applied in the last week because they had over 800 apps in the last week

• Wow
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.