TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

TCLAW

Aug 28, 2023
Hi! A few days back I received an email from DLA Piper. In regards to my application for a London Summer internship. I think I sent it in November, so after not hearing back for so long I expected a rejection. I then received an email stating I passed the first stage (assessment), and now I am waiting to be put on a shortlist for the second stage (Video Interview) - is anyone in the same position? Can I expect a realistic chance?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is a stupid question but could anyone please guide me - what technical questions could be in the interview? Does it mean questions would be about commercial awareness?
Technical questions tend to be more about how certain processes work, such as how the law could be applied. Commercial awareness tends to be broader than this, more the business reasoning why you are/need to instruct the firm in the first place.

Eg:

technical - what steps would a firm undertake to if they were helping a client invest into a commercial property like an office by buying it?

Commercial awareness - why would it be a good time for a client to invest in commercial property, like an office?

Reactions: Lalis and Sharon Wu

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
You need to explain what your expectations are for which route you will be taking, and where/when you expect to do this. It is an open question to check people's expectations of what and when they will study.
OK thanks! My expectation is that I (hopefully) get a TC and complete the SQE route with the firm in the year prior to the start date as this is what most TCs involve. How do I get that across? Or are we supposed to say what we would do in the case that we don't get a TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
OK thanks! My expectation is that I (hopefully) get a TC and complete the SQE route with the firm in the year prior to the start date as this is what most TCs involve. How do I get that across? Or are we supposed to say what we would do in the case that we don't get a TC?
You should just state something like “I expect to start a SQE prep course in Month Year, with a view to sit the assessments on Year” or “Shortly after graduating, I hope to start an SQE prep course and sit the SQE assessments in Year” - you don’t need to distinguish whether that is subject to you securing a TC or not.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    i've just tried to do my VI for Eversheds but it is not working. It asks me the same question over and over again. There are only supposed to be 5 questions but I have answered the same question 8 times as there is no option to complete the interview. I just logged out and logged back in and it is doing the same thing and my answer hasn't saved.
    I've contacted eversheds by email and tried calling them but obviously it is christmas eve so no one is going to answer. I'm at a loss of what to do now as today is the deadline to complete it.
    please can someone advise me what to do as I am really panicked

0livia.pope

Nov 26, 2023
    i've just tried to do my VI for Eversheds but it is not working. It asks me the same question over and over again. There are only supposed to be 5 questions but I have answered the same question 8 times as there is no option to complete the interview. I just logged out and logged back in and it is doing the same thing and my answer hasn't saved.
    I've contacted eversheds by email and tried calling them but obviously it is christmas eve so no one is going to answer. I'm at a loss of what to do now as today is the deadline to complete it.
    please can someone advise me what to do as I am really panicked
    I had the exact same issue and have also contacted them! I’m sure we aren’t the only ones and they may have to provide new links in the new year ?

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Hey everyone, I am posting here for the first time to hold myself accountable! Please do give me insight on any of these applications. For context, all of these are Spring/Summer Vacation Scheme. I am a second year Law student at a Russel Group uni :)

Applied so far:
    • Allen & Overy - Rejected post VI & SJT ❌
    • Herbert Smith Freehills - Passed WG, waiting ⏳
    • Latham & Watkins - taken test & VI, waiting ⏳
    • Linklaters - taken WG, waiting ⏳
    • Slaughter and May - waiting⏳
    • Hogan Lovells - waiting for WG⏳
    Planning to apply for:
    • White & Case
    • Kirkland & Ellis
    • Freshfields
    • Fieldfishers
    • Curtis
    • Katten
    • Macfarlanes
    • Trowers & Hamlins
    I have a few questions but it might be wiser to post them as separate replies. In the meantime, if anyone has heard back from any of the firms I am waiting to hear from, please let me know!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.