TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

SR99

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    Hi all! For the Macfarlanes Vac Scheme App question:

Tell us about yourself​

Please use this section to tell us anything else that you feel would support your application. Examples can include, but are not limited to, key achievements, successes, non-academic interests, your skills etc.
    Max 300 words

How should we structure this? How many examples should we give? Is there a specific type of example they are really looking for?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all! For the Macfarlanes Vac Scheme App question:

Tell us about yourself​

Please use this section to tell us anything else that you feel would support your application. Examples can include, but are not limited to, key achievements, successes, non-academic interests, your skills etc.
    Max 300 words

How should we structure this? How many examples should we give? Is there a specific type of example they are really looking for?
    There aren’t specific examples but you may want to think about what examples you have that fit more closely fit the values or qualities that the firm looks for in its trainees/lawyers.

I would try to get as much variety in as possible whilst making sure you are really highlighting the achievements and responsibilities you have had.

lawstudent15

Star Member
    Feb 26, 2022
    Hey guys! For a strength-based interview (a question such as "What achievements are you most proud of, and how did you achieve these?") would you suggest linking my answer back to the firm at the last part? I struggle to do this in a way that doesn't come across as a little artificial

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys! For a strength-based interview (a question such as "What achievements are you most proud of, and how did you achieve these?") would you suggest linking my answer back to the firm at the last part? I struggle to do this in a way that doesn't come across as a little artificial
    No need to link this back to the firm.

Reactions: lawstudent15

Marissa

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2020
    haha yes, what are you going to do?
    I will chase one more time in the new year and if they don’t respond then I’ll just leave it.

A bit awks because during my interview I asked the grad rec manager what was the best part of her job and she said it was giving people feedback to help them improve and get better… 👀

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What are people's thoughts on putting open days in their work experience? is it necessary or all that helpful?
    I personally wouldn’t prioritise putting them in work experience as they aren’t really work experience (you don’t work when you are on them), and they are only one day.

Depending on the rest of the application form though, there may not be anywhere else to include them. In these instances, some people group them together along with virtual programmes and put them as one entry. The only time I would potentially think about highlighting it separately is if you attended a programme run by the firm you are applying to, but even then that isn’t always necessary because they know you attended the event!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.