TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
Nov 8, 2023
Understand your point. Unfortunately, grad rec conveniently say for the large amount of apps they get, they can’t give individual feedback. But what confuses me is if they read every app they get before the deadline like they say on their website, how is it that they don’t note down points to evaluate each app (which one progresses or gets rejected). Surely, you are making a decision on some sort of ‘CRITERIA’. As an applicant, even if grad rec shares that criteria on the basis of which they’ve made the decision, I suppose that would help to some extent. But the fact that they don’t have time to offer feedback but to read every app that reaches them, doesn’t sit right with me. Makes me think how do they actually evaluate candidates…
Agree with your point on which basis this person is rejected that will be helpful so we know where to improve. But respect that grad rec is a busy job in itself.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
Nov 8, 2023
Hi both

In the final five days prior to, and including, the deadline, I received just over 500 applications, nearly all of which I've read thoroughly (I still have a few more to read through). As the sole person in the team, I simply cannot offer bespoke feedback to every person that applies. Offering feedback along the lines suggested above, would result in generic feedback, which wouldn't be helpful to you (I can say this with confidence, having coached candidates in the past who have received generic feedback). I sometimes do have time to offer feedback, so there would be no harm in asking me, via my work email, but I cannot guarantee this will happen as it is a very busy time of year.

Thanks
Gemma
Thank you and agree with your points

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    You have to remember that many people on LinkedIn wont state their degree grade at all. It’s only those with the absolute highest grades that don’t.

So if you factor in the trainees’ not on LinkedIn and those who have t stated their grades, you are probably only seeing a skewed version of things based on what people are declaring.
    I hadn't even thought of it that way. Thanks, Jessica!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.