TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
If you have no ties to the location you are applying to, there can be concerns more about whether you will enjoy life outside of work, so that could be a factor as to why.
I understand that it seems a fairly innocuous variable though. I was successful for an English vac scheme but was met with disdain when I participated in it so perhaps it’s a culture issue.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I understand that it seems a fairly innocuous variable though. I was successful for an English vac scheme but was met with disdain when I participated in it so perhaps it’s a culture issue.
It could be about alignment in personality/culture too - this can even vary across offices within the same firm.

Reactions: EM23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! If the firm only allow me to put 4 work experience, is it okay to put the Brand ambassador experience of the firm? or is it better to put more professional work experience?
It is fine to use the brand ambassador role if you think to demonstrates certain skills/capabilities that you think will complement your other work experience entries.

As the firm will be aware of your role as a BA, if there is an extra info section, it could also be placed there too though if you think other work experience entries are more evident of your development, capabilities and skills.

Reactions: Cynthia14

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
What would you guys do when allhires has deleted an entire work experience that you included in a submitted application? I checked three times before sending my application, but from now on, I will take screenshots before sending my applications out! @Jessica Booker any suggestions? I am not even angry because I cannot change things, but I think that the system needs to be fixed!

Reactions: trainingcontract

icebear

Star Member
Nov 10, 2023
Out of curiosity, how long are people taking to write each application (+ research)? and for those completing them in one day, how are you doing it? Just curious as I have so many due applications within the next few weeks so any help or tips would be great!
for research, i usually spend a week. i give myself enough time to go through at least all parts of the firm's website + external resources that i can find. then for writing, it really depends on the kind of questions. if it's generic ones like HL, it takes just 1 day to complete the application. but with more complicated ones like AG, it can take longer- took me a week to complete AG's application

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Out of curiosity, how long are people taking to write each application (+ research)? and for those completing them in one day, how are you doing it? Just curious as I have so many due applications within the next few weeks so any help or tips would be great!

For better or for worse I spend little time on my apps nowadays

The way I do it is getting all the grades and work experience out of the way first. For research, all you really need is their brochure/google a recent deal/chambers student guide. Also I found that a lot of apps had the same questions ie 'a difficult situation and how you overcame it' which I would just copy and paste. And lastly, having a high quality cover letter that you can easily switch up.

Disclaimer: This works for me, it might not work for you!

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    I've secured 2 vac schemes at international city firms writing applications in 2/3 hours each. Some might say this is too little - you just need to know what you are looking for. Do a quick search of key areas, pick one you like the sound of and write about that. Also helps to have a few key examples of 'times you did this....' at hand too for competency questions. If you have good examples, you can tailor them to almost every question.

I found the more time you spend, the more time you overthink. Make it detailed but simple.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.