TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Does anyone who has attended (or is attending) HSF’s AC have any insights? Already putting the pressure on myself as know it’s very commercial heavy and feel this is something I need to brush up on.

What exactly do the case study/scenario interviews entail, and what’s the best way to prepare? If anyone has any guidance, it would be greatly appreciated (and I can offer an insight on W&C in return) :)

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hey guys, where do you begin looking when a firm says "what work have we done recently that interests you" I never know where to begin researching as a lot of things firms do are only reported on their website (from what I can tell), so it's difficult to draw 250-300 words out on this. I'd appreciate any advice on where to look and how to go about answering this 🤗🙏
Hi, I used to find this a tough question too. You definitely need to find some clear examples of the firm engaging in whatever work you choose to talk about, but it doesn't have to be one specific deal or piece of client work. Even if they don't talk about a specific piece of advice, they will definitely talk about capabilities that they have on the firm's website and often will write up articles on topics that they advise clients on. Also worth thinking about the firm's core practice areas and what are the main issues in those practices, then work backwards to find info about the firm doing work in those areas.

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
I have my first AC of the cycle on 16 Jan.

Group exercises seem like something that is essentially hard to prepare for (aside from commercial knowledge that might assist the scenario). Does anyone have advice about what I could do to prepare? The AC is CMS London if that helps more with the specifics.

I appreciate any advice.
I don’t think there’s much you can do to prep for group exercises, general advice for the day would be to make sure you contribute, but don’t be the only one who speaks, so listen to what other people have to say. If there’s anyone that isn’t speaking much maybe ask if they have anything to add but don’t be pushy. People say being timekeeper shows good leadership, but if you offer to do this make sure you actually remind the team about timing.

It’s all pretty straightforward, I think they’re mostly just testing how you work with other people. I haven’t done a CMS AC but for other group exercises I’ve done the content hasn’t been very difficult, it’s good to add commercial awareness where you can, but also just common sense things too.

Good luck!

Reactions: Law_Between_Life

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Does anyone who has attended (or is attending) HSF’s AC have any insights? Already putting the pressure on myself as know it’s very commercial heavy and feel this is something I need to brush up on.

What exactly do the case study/scenario interviews entail, and what’s the best way to prepare? If anyone has any guidance, it would be greatly appreciated (and I can offer an insight on W&C in return) :)
    hi, congrats firstly! <33 I havent had any experience w hsf but if ure a law student its best to brush up on contract law, ive heard they can get quite technical as well generally (was speaking to a mentor and he said one of the qs his friends got asked like a cycle or two ago was 'how do you set up a hedge fund?')

• Wow
    Reactions: MR218 and laby201

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    hi, congrats firstly! <33 I havent had any experience w hsf but if ure a law student its best to brush up on contract law, ive heard they can get quite technical as well generally (was speaking to a mentor and he said one of the qs his friends got asked like a cycle or two ago was 'how do you set up a hedge fund?')
    Thank you so much and oh god, I’d be completely lost 😭 Looks like I better start preparing!

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Legit same emailed for my WG score, never heard back
    I applied in November, but they didn't send me the WG for three weeks. I emailed them to ask about it, but I didn't hear back. Eventually, I got the test, and after taking it, I emailed again, even though I was hesitant. I did it because I saw a lot of people here getting their WG scores. And they ghosted me again! 🤣

futurelegallyblonde

Premium Member
    Nov 30, 2023
    Hi, I used to find this a tough question too. You definitely need to find some clear examples of the firm engaging in whatever work you choose to talk about, but it doesn't have to be one specific deal or piece of client work. Even if they don't talk about a specific piece of advice, they will definitely talk about capabilities that they have on the firm's website and often will write up articles on topics that they advise clients on. Also worth thinking about the firm's core practice areas and what are the main issues in those practices, then work backwards to find info about the firm doing work in those areas.
    Thank you so much, that's great advice! Sorry, it's my first cycle so feel so out of the loop with it. One other thing - how do you actually find out what their core practice areas are, as each firm seems to list so many on their website?

amrita6399

Valued Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 13, 2023
    Holding myself accountable (again):

A&O (TC) - ✅ 📕📍❌
    Slaughters (TC) - ✅ 📍❌
    Jones Day - ✅ 📞📍❌
    Ashurst - ✅ 📕📍❌
    W&C - ✅ 📞
    CMS (TC) - ✅ 📕📞
    Taylor Wessing - ✅ 📕 (test decision TBD)
    Covington - ✅
    Hogan Lovells - ✅ 📕 (passed)
    Sidley Austin - ✅
    Milbank - ✅
    Cooley - ✅
    Gibson Dunn - ✅
    Herbert Smith Freehills - ✅ 📕❌ (didn't reach test benchmark)
    Travers Smith - ✅ ❌
    Clifford Chance (TC) - ✅ 📕❌ (passed test)
    Linklaters - ✅ 📕❌

First (technically second, but last year I didn't know what I was doing) app cycle, so feeling good. If anyone has insights into Travers, Freshfields (TC), NRF or Bakers app process lmk, can give some help with the firms listed above! :)

✅ - applied 📕- online test📞- telephone/video interview 🖊️ - written exercise📍- AC❌ - PFO
    I did the NRF direct TC application last cycle. It was an online application+ WG and game-based assessment + Telephone Interview+ AC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.