TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Can you reuse an application if the question’s are the same but you were unsuccessful after the final stage which was the online assessment (Shoosmiths)
I would always recommend to change the answer a little bit, even if it is only changing the verbs in a sentence or the order of a sentence, it will just help you create a new application without necessarily changing the content of it. However, you want to highlight different parts of yourself since your last application, so I personally feel it is important to write a new answer where you use the same experiences if you do not have new ones, touching upon new nuances or details that you did not discuss before or you only touched on briefly before. This will allow you to create a new response without necessarily having to create a new answer from scratch.

hanz123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2022
I would always recommend to change the answer a little bit, even if it is only changing the verbs in a sentence or the order of a sentence, it will just help you create a new application without necessarily changing the content of it. However, you want to highlight different parts of yourself since your last application, so I personally feel it is important to write a new answer where you use the same experiences if you do not have new ones, touching upon new nuances or details that you did not discuss before or you only touched on briefly before. This will allow you to create a new response without necessarily having to create a new answer from scratch.
Thank you Axel!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Love this! The salary thing is so real, back when I was applying to firms (literally just 5 months ago lol) I always said "If it's not a six figure pay, it's not worth the time of day!"
    I also said I want a salary of 100k+ but half way through I said I rather work for a firm I actually like for a few thousand less. I’m currently in a grad job that I DON’T like but the pay is amazing and pays better than a few firms 1st year trainee salaries 😭 but I’d sacrifice it for my mental wellbeing and actually enjoying my job. I sigh every morning going to work rn. Wouldn’t want that forever 🥲

Last edited:

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    For DWF’s app “What are your motivations for wanting to pursue a career as a Solicitor at DWF? (250 words)” is it necessary to mention why I want to be a solicitor coz I did 50/50 but looking at past applications, I see a lot of people just going straight into why DWF.
    Hi there, I see this question as just another iteration of "why this firm". I think if they wanted to ask you why law, they would've just asked you that specifically.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

user9809

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    I also said I want a salary of 100k+ but half way though I said I rather work for a firm I actually like for a few thousand less. I’m currently in a grad job that I DON’T like but the pay is amazing and pays better than a few firms 1st year trainee salaries 😭 but I’d sacrifice it for my mental wellbeing and actually enjoying my job. I sigh every morning going to work rn. Wouldn’t want that forever 🥲
    My exact predicament rn with the job thing!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    For DWF’s app “What are your motivations for wanting to pursue a career as a Solicitor at DWF? (250 words)” is it necessary to mention why I want to be a solicitor coz I did 50/50 but looking at past applications, I see a lot of people just going straight into why DWF.
    Since the word count is not a lot I would go straight into it and answer the specific question.

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    Absolutely great initiative. Really levels the playing field for those who can't invest in prep or practice tests.
    Ah, I am so jealous and wish I had applied now. I resent how firms only care about social mobility to the extent of just getting people to apply but completely ignore what they might need during the application process. I feel it really is just about optics for some of them. They have no appreciation for the difficulty of entering this field if you are working class. From expecting AAA at A-Level (despite how rare it is to get this if you go to a state comp) to expecting a certain polish at interviews. I only realised recently that some people actually pay for interview prep after seeing it offered by TCLA. Good for them but wish the law firms accounted for this disparity in a more real way.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.