TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Was it this one?

"
    Thank you for your recent application for a 2024 summer placement with Sullivan & Cromwell LLP.

The Recruitment Committee will review your application for a summer placement and we will respond to you further.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in Sullivan & Cromwell; we look forward to being in contact with you again.

In the meantime, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me."
    I think this is the acknowledgment email, the holding email reads something like this:

"The Recruitment Committee has now reviewed your application and for the short term, we would like to place your application on hold. We will consider your application further towards the application deadline, 12 January 2024, at which time we will advise you as to whether or not you have been shortlisted for interview.

Again, may I thank you for your continued interest in Sullivan & Cromwell; we look forward to being in contact with you soon."

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thank you!! This platform honestly helped me a lot.

Also, this will be my very first vac scheme so I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any advice please ☺️
    Attending your first vacation scheme is definitely something to be proud of but I totally understand the anxiety surrounding it as I was completely lost when I attended my first one as a first time applicant as well.
    Some tips that I can share are:

1. Make sure you have done your due diligence, meaning detailed research, on the firm, its practice areas, its clients, its number of international offices, pro bono opportunities, everything that you can think of. This will ensure that once you join the firm, you will be able to ask detailed questions to your supervisors and show your commitment and genuine interest in the firm.
    2. Talk to people on LinkedIn and in your circle who have done a vacation scheme at the firm and listen to their experiences, the people they have met at the firm, the kind of work they were exposed to and if they have any tips for you. I found that this helped me massively to know what to expect during the scheme.
    3. Use TCLA to see if there are people who are going to be on the vacation scheme with you and you can get to know them earlier on. TCLA was fundamental in allowing me to connect to some of the people that would have been on the scheme with me and it made the process less daunting.
    4. Try to enjoy the experience as much as possible. As much as it is an opportunity for them to see if you are worth investing in, it is also an opportunity for you to see and understand whether you want to join the firm or not and this is very important. Enjoy every talk you will have, every conversation with people at the firm, every social event, everything you will experience.
    5. Be friendly with everyone you meet. This is such an underrated thing but it really goes a long way. Being nice to everyone you meet will make or break your chance of getting a training contract in certain cases so always remember to be nice.
    I hope these tips are useful and good luck with the scheme!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.