TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Callumw123

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2023
I was sent the WG for one firm, on the email they said that I would be given a final opportunity to complete a practice test before the main test once I logged into the portal. However, there was only one test which I thought was the final practice test. I have since been rejected for not reaching the benchmark. Is it worth emailing them or should I just leave it?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Reed Smith Vacation Scheme Interview - please could anyone who has done this PM me please. I have never done an interview and I feel really nervous about this.
Congratulations!! This is amazing!
You have clearly pass the video interview so you do have some skills to succeed at the actual interview so do not worry about it and trust yourself that you are going to perform amazingly!

Some tips that I can give you are:
  • Do your thorough research of the firm so you are extra prepared for motivations questions. This is essential and your motivation to wanting to join the legal profession and the firm itself should be something you have prepared a lot before the interview since it is something you have control over.
  • Read over your application and make sure you are familiar and you remember everything you have mentioned. You do not want to be caught off guard when they ask you about your application.
  • Familiarise yourself with the format of the interview. Pay close attention to what they say in the email and for all the information they have provided on their website. Additionally, contact people on LinkedIn or in your circle who have done the assessment and who can give you further insight into the actual interview and what to expect (those are the best people to speak to because they have been there before!).
  • Brush up on your commercial awareness. Be very consistent with staying up to date with what is going on in the news and in the legal sector specifically. This is crucial as you might be asked questions about this in a case study scenario, and your commercial awareness will be what will make you stand out.
  • Practice your interview skills with your friends and family and try to see where your strengths lie. Work on your weaknesses and ask them to ask you challenging questions from the beginning of your preparation so that you start dealing with difficult questions earlier on and you know how to approach them during the interview.
Good luck with the interview!

Reactions: kela

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I was sent the WG for one firm, on the email they said that I would be given a final opportunity to complete a practice test before the main test once I logged into the portal. However, there was only one test which I thought was the final practice test. I have since been rejected for not reaching the benchmark. Is it worth emailing them or should I just leave it?
I would email them and explaining the situation but I probably would not expect anything from them. Just email them for your peace of mind but do not expect anything. They might do something about it and give you another chance if you're lucky so emailing seems like the right thing to do in my opinion.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
These feelings are completely understandable and I am sure that the majority of people on this forum can relate. Here are my thoughts as someone who has been applying for three years:
  1. Sometimes, you finish an interview and can't tell if it went well or not. At other times, your impression of how it went might not be accurate due to nerves and stress, regardless of your general self-awareness. Remember that sometimes how we perceive our performance might not align with how our interviewers did, especially if they are comparing us with the pool of candidates they interviewed that day or week. Not to mention people's personal biases, mood before and during the interview etc. So, you might feel that you've bombed it, but equally it might be that you've done amazingly well. Try not to rush to conclusions until you hear back from the firm.
  2. The point is that you can only control how you prepare ahead of an interview. You cannot control what you will be asked or what the outcome will be. While this is frustrating, coming to this realisation can also be therapeutic. What matters is that you can tell yourself that you did your absolute best given the circumstances.
  3. For this reason, it's important to try and compartmentalise. Stressing over something completely out of your control is a natural reaction, which is very difficult to ignore. However, there is no point in lingering on what was and what could have been, because nothing will change at this point. On the contrary, spiralling like that will only drain you and distract you from your day to day activities and other goals. Try to remind yourself that you did your best and that you cannot control what happens from here. If you fully accept this, you might be able to temporarily put intrusive thoughts to the side and focus on other things until you hear back from the firm.
  4. I genuinely hope you are successful, but if you are not, ask for feedback when you hear back from the firm. Take this feedback with a pinch of salt, but also try to genuinely understand it. It might be that something went completely wrong, or perhaps you did nothing wrong but the competition was so fierce that only the top 1% of applicants received an offer. Maybe you were very good, but some other candidates were exceptional. That's not to say that this is not disappointing, but at least you can tell yourself that you performed well and then work on what can be further improved.
  5. Familiarise yourself with the concept of rejection. It's only natural, you might be an exceptional candidate but not a cultural fit for the firm and unfortunately this is something we all have to accept.
  6. Even though it is exhausting, every interview is a learning experience. When you go to the next one you will be more prepared, both practically and mentally.
  7. Try to keep a long term perspective of your career goals to stay motivated. Remember, it's a cliché, yes, but you only need one 'yes'! It will come!
This is such good advice and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts @Jimz. I am sure this will help other candidates!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jimz

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I have a DLA AC on 2nd Feb and apparently that's their last one (only for London I presume). Since people who've done the prior ACs have already received offers, does being in the last batch put me at a disadvantage since there will be fewer spaces and more competition?
If you have an assessment centre with them it means that you deserve to be at the firm so give it your best and I am sure you will be successful. Although they already gave offers, you have been given a chance to prove yourself regardless, and if successful, you will be joining that pool of candidates with offers so only focus on that. I know it is easier said then done but I am sure that you will succeed!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If you separate interviews at an assessment centre, would it be fine to reuse questions to ask at the end to interviewers? I don't know if they'd discuss with their fellow interviewers what they were asked and therefore make my questions seem disingenuous or pre-planned.

Would you have any input please @Jessica Booker?
If you concerns around things like this I would always follow your gut. I am sure that it will not affect you in any way but if I was in your shoes now, I would probably have the same concerns and so I would try and create a larger bank of questions to ask interviewers and try to diversify the questions you ask to the different interviewers in case they talk to each other.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Do firms usually provide extra financial support for accom when doing a vac scheme? Especially those that are 2+ weeks, it quickly adds up!!
Some firms definitely do so make sure to check with the firms you have got an offer from! I know that Goodwin for instance offered accommodation for some vacation scheme students when I did my vacation scheme last year and I think that was really nice.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker or any VI takers, any advice for first-time Video Interviewers? I have an idea of what to expect but I'm not sure how to go about it. What does graduate recruitment look for in these interviews?
there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491 I hope these are helpful and good luck with the assessment!

Reactions: Yesha.2

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.