TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ben_WX

Jan 22, 2024
Would you be able to please specify what kind of commercial questions? Thanks!
And good luck post AC!
I was quizzed on syndicated loans, bonds, coupons, PC and the role Skadden’s funds team plays. It really depends on the news story or deal you choose to talk about! Also, I spoke about a private equity deal, and that's where I slipped up. The partner was trying to maintain a straight face while I was answering, lol. Hope this helps, good luck!

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    If anyone has tips for Macfarlanes AC it would be much appreciated. I've got a month to prepare!
    May have changed since year before last but:

1. Partner Interview:
    i) Was definitely asked Why Law, Why Commercial Law, Recent deal. Then there were competency questions.
    2. Case Study:
    i) Think out loud if you are trying to find the answer, they're not trying to trip you up but see how you get there too.
    3. Written Exercise:
    i) Make this look pretty - headings, paragraphs: short 2 line intro, rule of three (firstly, secondly, lastly), and conclude 2 lines (overall, I would..) is a good rule, I think they let you make tables, make sure you finish.

Reactions: F a v o u r

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    for Dechert, one of the qs is "Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgement to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us? 300 words."

By "why our clients instruct us", do they just mean why the clients choose them?
    Yes, I think this is what they mean more generally.

B101

Feb 27, 2023
    May have changed since year before last but:

1. Partner Interview:
    i) Was definitely asked Why Law, Why Commercial Law, Recent deal. Then there were competency questions.
    2. Case Study:
    i) Think out loud if you are trying to find the answer, they're not trying to trip you up but see how you get there too.
    3. Written Exercise:
    i) Make this look pretty - headings, paragraphs: short 2 line intro, rule of three (firstly, secondly, lastly), and conclude 2 lines (overall, I would..) is a good rule, I think they let you make tables, make sure you finish.
    Thank you sm!

• 🤝
    Reactions: I’m_Batman

Dakuai

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2023
    If anyone has tips for Goodwin first stage interview, it would be much appreciated. Is it completely competency based + understanding of the firm? Do they test commercial awareness as well? The email says no preparation needed, so I wonder what kind of questions could be asked.

Hi, @axelbeugre, It would be great if you have any tips :) Thank you

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.