Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Question about logistics of doing a vac scheme in London as someone who doesn’t live there - how do people find somewhere to stay? Surely it would be ££££ to stay in central London for 2 weeks
Halls of residence tend to be the cheapest central option.

Alternatively seen people book long stays in budget hotels in Travelodges in areas outside of central London but easily commutable into - with the Elizabeth line or Thamesline (plus other key routes in) you can get into London quite quickly but find cheaper accommodation less than 30 mins out of the city.

Reactions: Sharon Wu and os111

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
What is the common courtesy surrounding 'thank you' emails after an AC, is it something which we are expected to do? And if so who do we address the email to?

I agree with Jessica, a very short thank you email, nothing too elaborate. I personally did it when I was invited to interviews and it always worked out in my favour so I would recommend doing it, but it is not a requirement. It is just a way to be polite and thank people for their time and effort.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Why are you applying to Hill Dickinson for a training contract? (250 words)
1. I would mention interactions with people at the firm and how they were positive.
2. As they have a small trainee intake, explain why you like this.
3. Quality of the training and pro bono opportunities.

We are pleased to offer sector-specific training contracts in each of our business services, health and marine groups. Why are you interested in completing a sector-specific training contract and why have you chosen this sector? i.e. business services, health or marine. (250 words)
1. Talk about how these link to your school or university modules and are therefore intellectually stimulating. Or past work experience for that matter.
2. cross border work and why you like that in the context of specific sectors they do. Like m&a
3. Same point, maybe talk about business services

Make sure you bring in specifically why they interest you for each one and examples of whether it’s academic or work exp that you want to do similar work. Where possible try to mention interactions with the firm.
Thank you so much for this detailed response. I am sure it will be extremely helpful to anyone applying to the firms with the same questions.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre Hi! I appreciate some tips about the question "Choose one of our clients and explain a challenge they are currently facing. What could the organisation do to overcome this challenge and how could we assist? " Do I need to choose a specific company to response this question? Thanks!
Hey @Cynthia14,

Someone asked me the same question some time ago and I shared some tips in this post and I think they might be helpful to you too: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-154642

Good luck with the application!

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Is anyone awaiting CC news post-AC? I have unmuted my phone for the first time in 7 years :D
    Same here, I practically never bother checking my notifications more than three times a day but at the moment, I'm constantly side eyeing my phone 👀

honestly every single notification has my heart in my stomach

Reactions: futuretrainee2024

s9111

Distinguished Member
    Aug 17, 2023
    I applied to the Latham Summer VS close to opening and have had no update/holding emails at all, and cannot even find an acknowledgement email from then. The system confirms I have made an application though. Little worried. Have heard nothing at all

Last edited:
    Reactions: axelbeugre
    D

Deleted member 31263

I applied to the Latham Summer AC close to opening and have had no update/holding emails at all, and cannot even find an acknowledgement email from then. The system confirms I have made an application though. Little worried. Have heard nothing at all
    I know of a couple of people who already had the AC and got offers. Awaiting an outcome myself :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.