TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
As detailed as it is required of you here. I think that here it would be good to mention a couple of skills and interests so you cannot go too deep into the description of those otherwise you lose words. What I would do is mentioning a skill, for instance attention to detail, describe briefly an internship where you developed or improved this skills, and link it back to the firm highlighting how this skill will allow you to look over and check important documents like contracts for clients and spotting mistakes very easily.

I think this approach will allow you to answer the question exhaustively and to appear as an interesting candidate to the reader, and you are able to differentiate yourself from others as your experiences are what will set you apart.

I hope this helps and good luck with the applications!
Thanks, Axel! Sorry, I have another question about this question! How many sectors should I bring in? I think I have focused too heavily on the first limb of the question and have brought in other reasons why I think the firm would be a good fit for me (whilst also linking to my skills). For example, I have talked about my interests in employment law and the quality of training offered by the firm. I only have one paragraph dedicated to a sector so far. I am now worried I have gone off on a tangent ...

Reactions: axelbeugre

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I think I got a suggestion last year to always look at the camera so I would say that.

I would not feel too bad, video interviews are very hard to pass and it is difficult to understand why you do not get through them.

there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491
Thank you so much @axelbeugre

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Does anyone have tips for doing a VI but how to go about having key points as notes and like where to put them? It has to come across as natural but I also want to say what I have prepared.

Also, if you have 3 minutes but you finish in around 1 minute but hit all the points is that bad? I'm not sure if it looks bad to finish too soon.

affidavid

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2024
    Does anyone have tips for doing a VI but how to go about having key points as notes and like where to put them? It has to come across as natural but I also want to say what I have prepared.

Also, if you have 3 minutes but you finish in around 1 minute but hit all the points is that bad? I'm not sure if it looks bad to finish too soon.
    its usually 1 min for each of the 3 questions no?

TC Chaser

Jan 27, 2024
    For anybody that has passed the app stage for Bakers this year, did you explicitly name one of their clients in the client question, or did you mention PE houses for example? As I am losing the will to live trying to find a mining client of the firm that uses the London projects team for work, even though I know there are some according to their website, they are just not named.
    Hi there, I haven't received a response as I applied on the 30th of Jan; however, I did name the Client I was referring to and tailored my answer to a current problem they're facing. I'll keep you updated.

Reactions: sxw517

farr_x

Jan 29, 2024
    Has anyone done the WBD : Gateley interactive assessments and can provide some insight? It’s my first time for both so just wondering what the format etc is like :))
    I did WBD’s last year and it was identical to Dentons & Pinsent’s assessments. There’s a verbal element, where they’ll give you a short passage to read and then you answer a question on it. There’s a numerical element with tables/graphs/numerical information that you need to use to figure out answers. I would brush up on how to find percentage differences/working out averages etc. At the end they asked 3 video interview questions - you had unlimited prep time and I want to say around 2 minutes to answer. Hope that helps

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When completing a VI, should I look at the camera or screen? I don't seem to pass any of my VIs!
    Try to look at the camera.

It is completely cheesy and I sound bonkers for suggesting it (but it works!) - draw a smiley face on a post it note and stick is either as close to or just behind your camera to give you something to focus on. The smiley face also encourages you to smile and remind yourself that there is someone else at the other end watching the video (just not live!).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have tips for the interview Q "tell me about a story you have been following" i'm having a difficult time doing anything but just summarising the article, how can I create links to the firm and explain the impact. I'm struggling to think of anything, would appreciate any rough ideas or guidance :)
    Firstly, you don’t need to link it to the firm unless explicitly asked in the question.

You don’t necessarily need to show the impact either (the question is not asking this).

One approach is to read/listen to the article or story across different news platforms/forms of media and then create your own analysis from the different sources. Secondly try to add is more answers to who/why/how questions rather than just repeat the details:

Why did it happen?
    Who benefits from this happening?
    How will this improve the market that the business sits within?

Reactions: Apple

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @axelbeugre - do you have any advice / tips on how to prepare for a group presentation AC? for ref, the firm has used some commercial topics previously. any help would massively appreciated, thank you! :)
    I personally think you cannot prepare much for these exercises - they are purposely designed so that you shouldn’t need to as otherwise individual people in the group would have a direct advantage.

Just go in with an open mindset, be flexible or adaptable in your approach to the task, contribute your thinking, even if it is through supporting or challenging others’ ideas, use any evidence to back up your thinking, bring in others to support your thinkin, bring in quieter members of the group when you can (they may have information that could be useful or your discussion), keep an eye on the time (it will go far too quickly), kee the tasks objectives in mind, and try to take some form of role if you can (time keeper, notetaker, brief reader, facilitator).

• 🏆
    Reactions: axelbeugre and legallyells

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How can I perhaps best answer these questions:

1.What will you offer us at ** - why should we hire what you have to offer?
    2. How will you contribute to our business to make the most of the opportunity a TC offers?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker :)
    If these are interview questions, this is about identifying your USPs, whether they are your skill set or your motivations.

A USP does not have to be something complete unique that applies to only you - think about it more than your combination of USPs is likely to be something no one (or very few) other candidates can present.

The first question is reflective/backward looking - where are you now and what has brought you to this point to have a set of skills or motivations that make you stand out against other candidates.

The second question is forward looking - how will you bring those skills/motivations and practically apply them to the working environment as a trainee.

• 🤝
    Reactions: axelbeugre and Sunshinepink

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it okay to have notes somewhere, maybe sticky notes along the top of the laptop or is there a better way? Just so I remember to hit key points :)
    Yes - it is okay to do this, especially if they are as you have suggested key words rather than a script/written out sentences.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sunshinepink

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks, Axel! Sorry, I have another question about this question! How many sectors should I bring in? I think I have focused too heavily on the first limb of the question and have brought in other reasons why I think the firm would be a good fit for me (whilst also linking to my skills). For example, I have talked about my interests in employment law and the quality of training offered by the firm. I only have one paragraph dedicated to a sector so far. I am now worried I have gone off on a tangent ...
    I don’t think only talking about 1 sector is a bad thing, especially given the answer is only 250 words and there are multiple questions you have to answer within it. Just be mindful that employment law may not be considered a sector (sectors are usually groups of industries), it may be more of a practice area.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

If you have been given three minutes to answer a question, I would try to at least cover two of the three minutes if you can. This wont always be necessary, but given you have a greater amount of time, you can afford provide a bit more detail/rationale/analysis to make our answer have more depth.

You can use notes and use them how works well for you. For some people this will be post it notes around the laptop or just behind it, for other people it will be notes on the desk. The key thing really is to keep the notes very short and focused on key words so you speak naturally and not speak like you are reading word for word in a speech like format.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sunshinepink

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What are some common reasons as to why some firms extend their work experience deadlines? Is it due to a lack of good applicants in the cycle?
    Can be down to a range of reasons - maybe the quality isn’t there, maybe they have diversity targets they want to hit and that isn’t seen in the application pool, maybe the recruitment process can just be delayed due to resource, maybe they have an event happening later in the year and want to keep applications open for that.

Pennine Valley

Esteemed Member
    Nov 18, 2023
    Can be down to a range of reasons - maybe the quality isn’t there, maybe they have diversity targets they want to hit and that isn’t seen in the application pool, maybe the recruitment process can just be delayed due to resource, maybe they have an event happening later in the year and want to keep applications open for that.
    So grad rec do use applicants diversity data as part of the selection process?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Try to look at the camera.

It is completely cheesy and I sound bonkers for suggesting it (but it works!) - draw a smiley face on a post it note and stick is either as close to or just behind your camera to give you something to focus on. The smiley face also encourages you to smile and remind yourself that there is someone else at the other end watching the video (just not live!).
    Thank you @Jessica Booker

legallyells

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 23, 2023
    I personally think you cannot prepare much for these exercises - they are purposely designed so that you shouldn’t need to as otherwise individual people in the group would have a direct advantage.

Just go in with an open mindset, be flexible or adaptable in your approach to the task, contribute your thinking, even if it is through supporting or challenging others’ ideas, use any evidence to back up your thinking, bring in others to support your thinkin, bring in quieter members of the group when you can (they may have information that could be useful or your discussion), keep an eye on the time (it will go far too quickly), kee the tasks objectives in mind, and try to take some form of role if you can (time keeper, notetaker, brief reader, facilitator).
    thank you SO much @Jessica Booker , this is really helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.