TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

danturner

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
If I have a VS offer and can choose between a one week scheme in spring or a two week scheme in summer, is there an advantage in choosing either one for the purpose of getting offered a TC? I am in my final year so am leaning toward the spring scheme but do not want to disadvantage myself if there is a better chance of securing a TC off of the summer scheme?

I know it is probably impossible to know the answer precisely but if you had to guess given your experience it would be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance! @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

Reactions: axelbeugre

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
That can’t be right though, that’s 31/36!!!
TCLA ran a session on how to pass video interviews with Charlotte Lear from Reed Smith and she said that the feedback report has no bearing on the overall outcome of the application. The report’s more a reflection of a candidate’s strengths and nothing else. Besides, if they were to select based on a cut-off score, why even have a VI together with the SJT. So I’m not really sure if the progression of candidates is solely based on the SJT score itself. Either way, I’m not keeping my hopes too high atp

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I have a VS offer and can choose between a one week scheme in spring or a two week scheme in summer, is there an advantage in choosing either one for the purpose of getting offered a TC? I am in my final year so am leaning toward the spring scheme but do not want to disadvantage myself if there is a better chance of securing a TC off of the summer scheme?

I know it is probably impossible to know the answer precisely but if you had to guess given your experience it would be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance! @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
No - the standards will be the same across the schemes. I would go with the programme that works better for you based on your other commitments.

Just be mindful that the Spring scheme will be a matter of weeks before your final exams.

Reactions: Pennine Valley

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

I did a spring scheme and I would say that sometimes the spring might be better but that was my experience, more offers were given out in the spring compared to the summer. But it really does not matter!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.