TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

danturner

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
No - the standards will be the same across the schemes. I would go with the programme that works better for you based on your other commitments.

Just be mindful that the Spring scheme will be a matter of weeks before your final exams.
Is that regardless of the spring scheme being one week shorter? Would that give me less of a chance to prove myself worthy of the final TC?

Thank you again for all of the great advice!

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
They are holding 3 Ooen Day (their AC) with 30 per day attending. You had to reply by Thursday to say which of the 3 was your first, second or third preference and they will allocate on a first come first served basis and let you know which date next week. Per their email.

I think it then gets whittled down from 90 to 40 for vac scheme but can't remember where I read that!
Do you know if they release all AC invites at the same time?

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
Do you know if they release all AC invites at the same time?
I guess they may have if they were asking you to submit and be allocated on a first come first served basis because the AC dates go into March and they would be leaving it late. They may also be declined by some if they have had offers elsewhere potentially so until you get a PFO you may still be in the running.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When answering "why x firm" in an AC interview

Is there any point in me saying the practice area as they will follow up asking me what practice area am I interested in anyway?

Instead should I briefly speak about the awards won within the sector of the practice area i like and the firm overall and why they stood out to me in wanting to apply over their competitors? Then reference this point again when they ask about my interest in a practice area and include a deal and how this deal is important to me?

Are these points too broad and not very specific to the firm?

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
I don’t think you can guarantee that they will ask you about practice areas. If it is a key reason for your application, then mention it, but don’t feel you have to mention it if it isn’t.

Reactions: Legalstalker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, it is a key reason as to why i have applied. As i will talk about this in my why the firm question if asked about practice areas later would it be appropriate to speak about a deal they have done in the practice area and why it is important to me or is this too personal?
It’s not too personal, but you have to remember you are not going to work on that deal (it has happened), so generally I think it’s better to frame it more about the type of work the practice does rather than specific deals. You can still reference that specific deal to highlight that type of work, but you don’t need to explain what the deal was, you just need to pull out key details as to why that deal was particularly interesting to you/why you’d like to get involved in similar work in the future.

• 🏆
Reactions: Legalstalker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.