TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
how2become - Critical Thinking Tests was the reason I started passing WG tests - as I needed to understand the reasoning behind answers and also the ways the WG tries to catch you out. At the time I brought it it was £10 and it stays with you forever - unlike the online subscriptions were you pay £4791798571985791857 for only a month.

Also just using the full amount of time, reading the questions out loud, noting key sentences in a notebook and going back and checking helps - I think.
Sorry just seen this thank you :)

elektrajenkov

Star Member
Dec 20, 2023
Hi guys! This is a bit of a random question, but workday is my enemy, and I cannot figure out how to get to my inbox for my NRF application. I've been having emails that I have messages in my inbox (with the messages copied in so I can at least see them) but when I click on the link it doesn't work and I can't find my inbox in the candidate portal. Anyone have any idea how I can get to my inbox? Thanks!

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hi everyone :) how would you go about an interview question about how a firm can maintain a competitive advantage in the current legal market? In terms of structure, things to pull on, etc. I keep coming back to AI & tech which is obviously important but I'd like to come up with a few more examples for variation :) tyia

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
Hi guys! This is a bit of a random question, but workday is my enemy, and I cannot figure out how to get to my inbox for my NRF application. I've been having emails that I have messages in my inbox (with the messages copied in so I can at least see them) but when I click on the link it doesn't work and I can't find my inbox in the candidate portal. Anyone have any idea how I can get to my inbox? Thanks!
I have the same problem too! I have to log in through outlook but I'm confused because I put my gmail account on there so how am I supposed to log in?

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Can someone please tell me if I am being inefficient but I have just made a list (it's still growing thicccc) and I have like 50 questions the CRS VI could include. Then, I have to draft rough responses that I know won't take me longer than 60-90 seconds to say. I will be honest usually I wing interviews and hope for the best so I don't know if I am preparing properly for once 💀 or overdoing it.

Any thoughts/ tips? xx

Hope you don't mind me tagging you @axelbeugre :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

CocoChanel

Standard Member
Aug 3, 2023
Hi all, how would you prepare for a summer vacation scheme? I have an offer for a US firm and feel it's so far away that I'll lose all my knowledge and 'edge' that grad rec liked during application season (in December). I'm currently on a gap year doing sports, travelling and small scale jobs (waitressing, bookkeeping) so not necessarily being intellectually and commercially stimulated. Apart from keeping up with the news, what would you recommend in preparation to perform well in a SVS that's months away and eventually get a TC? :) thank you!

Hana (aaah I want a TC)

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 7, 2023
    Hi all, how would you prepare for a summer vacation scheme? I have an offer for a US firm and feel it's so far away that I'll lose all my knowledge and 'edge' that grad rec liked during application season (in December). I'm currently on a gap year doing sports, travelling and small scale jobs (waitressing, bookkeeping) so not necessarily being intellectually and commercially stimulated. Apart from keeping up with the news, what would you recommend in preparation to perform well in a SVS that's months away and eventually get a TC? :) thank you!
    I love listening to podcasts to keep up my commercial awareness, especially when i commute somewhere or while running. You can play it in the background while you do other things. It's not something that takes up all of your attention, but it's also engaging enough to keep you interested.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    There is some really useful advice here:

Post in thread 'TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)'
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....eral-discussion-thread-2-2021.3786/post-78430

Reactions: AlexJ and Cherikon

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Can someone please tell me if I am being inefficient but I have just made a list (it's still growing thicccc) and I have like 50 questions the CRS VI could include. Then, I have to draft rough responses that I know won't take me longer than 60-90 seconds to say. I will be honest usually I wing interviews and hope for the best so I don't know if I am preparing properly for once 💀 or overdoing it.

Any thoughts/ tips? xx

Hope you don't mind me tagging you @axelbeugre :)
    I think you are preparing well for it and you are trying to cover all the questions that might come up which is not a bad thing so very well done!

I shared some tips on video interviews in general which might be helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491

Congratulations on obtaining the video interview and good luck with the assessment!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miss Chocolate

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey any clue on how long it takes to hear back fron GD after the second round interview ?
    Last year I heard an hour after the interview but I am noticing that they are taking a little bit more now so I would say a couple of days to a week. Alternatively, you might want to email them if a long time has passed to just ask for an update.

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I think you are preparing well for it and you are trying to cover all the questions that might come up which is not a bad thing so very well done!

I shared some tips on video interviews in general which might be helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491

Congratulations on obtaining the video interview and good luck with the assessment!!
    @lawgurl90 @law2022x these tips might be helpful to you too for tackling the video interviews you have!

Congratulations in obtaining them and good luck with them!

TonyStark

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2024
    Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker this is my first application cycle and I’m trying to get on the front foot by preparing for assessment centres even though I don’t have any currently lined up (yet!). Do you have any tips or can point me to any information on how to prepare for competency based interviews and how to build up my commercial awareness for article review/case study exercises?

Appreciate the support and hope you don’t mind the tag!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.