Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would you happen to know the best way to approach this? Thank you :)
Its not necessarily a PFO, but I wouldn't rush to contact them either. Sometimes these things take longer than expected.

If you haven't heard anything by Friday or even Monday next week, then contact them.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Guys, is anyone able to access their Mishcon application after submission? I can't. I forgot to save a copy. Should I email graduate recruitment and request a copy of my application? I want to go through it in preparation for the interview.

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
For the Mayer Brown automatic tests, does anyone have an idea of what good results look like? I know the outcome of these tests will be different for each person but I just want to get a sense of what I should try to obtain.

lawgurl90

Star Member
Jan 3, 2024
Does anyone know if VWV sponsors visas? I cant find anything on their website and their name isn't showing up on the list of sponsorships published by the government. I don't want to waste my time finalising this application if it won't lead to anything lol.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker this is my first application cycle and I’m trying to get on the front foot by preparing for assessment centres even though I don’t have any currently lined up (yet!). Do you have any tips or can point me to any information on how to prepare for competency based interviews and how to build up my commercial awareness for article review/case study exercises?

Appreciate the support and hope you don’t mind the tag!
Hey @TonyStark,

I totally understand your drive and I do applaud you for starting to prepare now so you are ready when you do receive assessment centres (which you will soon!!!).

I did share some tips in this post and I hope it is useful for you!: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-167210

For case study/article interviews what I would recommend is:
  1. Practice talking about commercial articles with your friends and family: this helped me a lot with confidence and controlling my nerves. I used to ask my friends to send me random commercial articles and debate on them for some time and I wanted them to challenge me on every point I made.
  2. Keep up to date with commercial news reading commercial news article, use LinkedIn and follow the law firms you have applied to and read the deals they have worked on, study the practice areas you might be interested in and what trainee and lawyers do in them. Additionally, what I used to do was reading an article and summarise it in writing and make considerations as to the links to be made to the legal sector and that helped a lot in understanding how to link commercial news to the legal sector.
  3. Reach out to people who did the same assessments at the same firms so you can hear their experiences and they might help you with tips and suggestions. This was fundamental for my preparation when I was applying so I would definitely do this all the time to best understand what the case study or article would be about and how to best prepare.
I hope these are helpful and good luck!

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When answering "why x firm" in an AC interview

Is there any point in me saying the practice area as they will follow up asking me what practice area am I interested in anyway?

Instead should I briefly speak about the awards won within the sector of the practice area i like and the firm overall and why they stood out to me in wanting to apply over their competitors? Then reference this point again when they ask about my interest in a practice area and include a deal and how this deal is important to me?

Are these points too broad and not very specific to the firm?

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
I think these points work and I would probably include them in my answers too, I would also brunch out a little more in the why the firm question and talk about pro bono, diversity initiatives, international opportunities that the training contract offers. But these are great points!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would you happen to know the best way to approach this? Thank you :)
I would just wait patiently as unhelpful as this sounds because the law firm is probably insanely busy. I would not look too much into this, no news is good news in all honesty so just try to relax and focus on other things rather than the call you are expecting! I know it is hard though! I did reach out to some firms when I was interviewing last year with updates and they were kind in giving me the offer the day I emailed so you could do that (but I would do it after a couple of weeks sine they might reach out before then anyway).

I hope this is helpful and congratulations for getting an assessment centre, it is so exciting!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.