TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Nah I’ve never done this myself. My answers are always completely real and never made up on the spot

View attachment 5716
I am a shtty liar, okay? 😂😂 Also, when I said I make up stuff, I mean I spice up existing experiences 😂😂

Can't really say a time I disagreed with someone was the time when my toxic retail manager was lowkey manipulative and psycho, now can I? 😭 So I like to go on a daydream exercise where I imagine she didn't follow some ethical procedure and we had a polite discussion about it 💅

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am a shtty liar, okay? 😂😂 Also, when I said I make up stuff, I mean I spice up existing experiences 😂😂

Can't really say a time I disagreed with someone was the time when my toxic retail manager was lowkey manipulative and psycho, now can I? 😭 So I like to go on a daydream exercise where I imagine she didn't follow some ethical procedure and we had a polite discussion about it 💅
And that's the problem - a lot of people are not very good liars and get spotted easily (a bit like Jay!).

But I think you could use the example of your retail manager if there is something you did to improve the situation. If it was just that they were manipulative and pyscho, there isn't any action from you to resolve or improve the situation. However, if you did so something (e.g. helped train new members of the team, took on additional responsibilities to protect others/get things done/improve the working environment), then you could definitely use such an example (and it may actually be a pretty good example to use).

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
And that's the problem - a lot of people are not very good liars and get spotted easily (a bit like Jay!).

But I think you could use the example of your retail manager if there is something you did to improve the situation. If it was just that they were manipulative and pyscho, there isn't any action from you to resolve or improve the situation. However, if you did so something (e.g. helped train new members of the team, took on additional responsibilities to protect others/get things done/improve the working environment), then you could definitely use such an example (and it may actually be a pretty good example to use).
Very true. 😭😂

Thank you for sharing that. Tbf I have always assumed that I should stay away from examples that may be too "negative" or "real" because I don't want the interviewer to get a bad impression or develop a bias. I also worry that they may think I am the sort of worker to leave a workplace and then talk negatively about the people. However, the way you have explained that makes a lot more sense and it's reassuring to hear that we can speak about those kind of examples too, but worded appropriately of course!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Very true. 😭😂

Thank you for sharing that. Tbf I have always assumed that I should stay away from examples that may be too "negative" or "real" because I don't want the interviewer to get a bad impression or develop a bias. I also worry that they may think I am the sort of worker to leave a workplace and then talk negatively about the people. However, the way you have explained that makes a lot more sense and it's reassuring to hear that we can speak about those kind of examples too, but worded appropriately of course!
You can talk about crappy situations, you just have to be mindful of the language you use to describe them, particularly when talking about others or their work.

You also focus less on what others did and more about what you did to change the situation. If you can focus on the improvements you made, especially if they benefitted others (not just you) then you are not getting to caught up in the “negative” of the situation, you are focusing on the positive.

• Love
Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Chelsea1

Star Member
  • Aug 7, 2023
    Does anyone have any advice on how to answer the 'why commercial law' question for interview prep or some examples of how they went about it. Kinda stressing on this point for interview prep :/ Whenever I try to answer this question I end up with half-convincing responses that are based purely on my past experiences rather than the technicality of commercial law if that makes sense. Any support would be very helpful :)

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    You can talk about crappy situations, you just have to be mindful of the language you use to describe them, particularly when talking about others or their work.

You also focus less on what others did and more about what you did to change the situation. If you can focus on the improvements you made, especially if they benefitted others (not just you) then you are not getting to caught up in the “negative” of the situation, you are focusing on the positive.
    Yesss that's something I picked up on during the STAR practice today. I don't focus on T and A (challenge/action) as much as I need to. So thank you for emphasising that. I don't know if other candidates struggle with it too, but I find it quite difficult to follow it in a structured way. I need more preparation to fix it, I think. Especially since the VIs are also short.

Reactions: Mike Wazaoski

sldn1

Standard Member
    Jul 19, 2023
    Hey everyone, Im applying to Paul Hastings work placement (their version of VC) and Im a bit confused about their questions;
    Why do you wish to complete a work placement with us? and What has attracted you to Paul Hastings?

I feel like both questions are super similar: also can I discuss why I want to train at PH in the first question? I cant seem to find any info on the work placement

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.