TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone know if VWV sponsors visas? I cant find anything on their website and their name isn't showing up on the list of sponsorships published by the government. I don't want to waste my time finalising this application if it won't lead to anything lol.
I would try and email them with this kind of questions, at least you do not waste your time as you said. They will be transparent with you and hopefully they will reply quickly too!

Reactions: lawgurl90

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hi everyone :) how would you go about an interview question about how a firm can maintain a competitive advantage in the current legal market? In terms of structure, things to pull on, etc. I keep coming back to AI & tech which is obviously important but I'd like to come up with a few more examples for variation :) tyia
@axelbeugre do you have any advice for this?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I think these points work and I would probably include them in my answers too, I would also brunch out a little more in the why the firm question and talk about pro bono, diversity initiatives, international opportunities that the training contract offers. But these are great points!
    Thank you!!
    my 3 points are the work (practice area+awards), training contract (global reach/no mandatory seats) and culture (1 Diversity initiatives).
    if they ask about practice area as a question i will talk about a deal they done in this practice area and how it reflects innovation as they were given an award for innovation last year.

I haven't spoken on any Pro bono at all and i do not plan to.... is this something i should research just in case they ask?

Reactions: Sharon Wu

TonyStark

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2024
    Hey @TonyStark,

I totally understand your drive and I do applaud you for starting to prepare now so you are ready when you do receive assessment centres (which you will soon!!!).

I did share some tips in this post and I hope it is useful for you!: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-167210

For case study/article interviews what I would recommend is:
    1. Practice talking about commercial articles with your friends and family: this helped me a lot with confidence and controlling my nerves. I used to ask my friends to send me random commercial articles and debate on them for some time and I wanted them to challenge me on every point I made.
    2. Keep up to date with commercial news reading commercial news article, use LinkedIn and follow the law firms you have applied to and read the deals they have worked on, study the practice areas you might be interested in and what trainee and lawyers do in them. Additionally, what I used to do was reading an article and summarise it in writing and make considerations as to the links to be made to the legal sector and that helped a lot in understanding how to link commercial news to the legal sector.
    3. Reach out to people who did the same assessments at the same firms so you can hear their experiences and they might help you with tips and suggestions. This was fundamental for my preparation when I was applying so I would definitely do this all the time to best understand what the case study or article would be about and how to best prepare.
    I hope these are helpful and good luck!
    Hi Axel, thanks so much for the reply and for your advice! It's incredibly helpful.

If you don't mind on your second point on the case study/article interview section, where you recommend making considerations to the links that can be made to the legal sector from the article, how do you go about doing this? How do you identify the links that can be made and understand the impact the article would have on a law firm? Did you have a preferred framework for doing this?

Also I wanted to ask, in a case study/article interview where you don't necessarily choose the commercial topic, how should
    you build your commercial awareness for this? I've seen posts advising to pick a few topics and follow those, but what if the topics you choose aren't related to the article given on the assessment day. My top law firm provides an article and asks you to discuss it hence why I'm focusing particularly on this style of interview. Thanks for your help.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    GUIDE TO VIDEO INTERVIEWS:

Video interviews are some of the hardest forms of assessments that you have to face when applying to law firms as it is so hard to understand how to succeed at them. Let me tell you, I had a lot of video interviews last year and struggled to understand how to conduct myself when doing them. It feels very unnatural to talk to a camera for some reason, but I am here to share top tips that might help you feel less nervous:

Treat it as a real interview

I think this is the best advice I’d received when I was applying because it made me feel like the preparation that I was supposed to do was not too different from the real interviews I was preparing for. I think it is important to pretend to be speaking to someone on zoom. In fact, when you do that, you will see how different your performance will be when you speak in front of the camera. You will feel more natural and you will try to impress the viewers as you would with a partner interviewing you. Talking to some graduate recruitment at law fairs made me understand how pretending to be talking to someone was so beneficial and that was something that they recommended heavily.

Do your research on the video interview

As for real interviews, you want to tackle the process as prepared as possible. A way to feel like you know what you are getting yourself into is reaching out to people who have done the same video interviews who can share their experiences on them. When I was preparing for my video interviews, I found it really helpful to reach out to people who were future trainees at the firm or did the scheme at the firm to hear their perspectives and their experiences. More often than not they will share more tangible and effective tips you can work on!

Prepare your answers to the potential questions

There are a list of questions online that video interviews might include such as: why did you decide to be a lawyer? Why this firm? Why commercial law? what are the skills of a successful trainee? These are some of the most typical ones. What I used to do is preparing a concise answer for each question so that if it came up, I knew exactly what to say. This will save you a lot of time for other video interviews you might get along the application cycle so do not lose your answers!

Be succinct with every sentence!

This tip is fundamental. It is important for you to be mindful of the fact that most of the time the video interview will have a time limit of 1 to 3 minutes and so there is no much time to actually answer the question in the most exhaustive way. This means that being succinct and going straight to the point will be key. If you have to mention a list of reasons as to why you want to join the firm for example, pick a couple, describe them and link them back to your experience in a couple of sentences and move on to the next reason and do the same. You do not want to list a lot of reasons but not being able to describe them. Here, less is more.

Dress to impress

This goes hand in hand with the ‘treat it as a real interview’ tip. Since you have to pretend to be speaking to a partner or a member of graduate recruitment, I would dress the part too. This will allow you to feel very confident and secure in yourself, and it will also make you look professional. It is important for you to dress to impress and show your professionalism on the screen.

Bring the energy to the video!

One thing that a lot of people forget to put in the video interviews is their own selves!! I was advised to smile a lot and make the viewer engage with the recording as it will feel more genuine and exciting to look at. You basically have to pretend to be a youtuber and be extremely confident in front of the camera, that is how I see it! What I did to practice being comfortable in front of the camera is recording myself answering why I wanted to be a lawyer and why I was applying to that firm. It was massively helpful to analyse how people would perceive me whilst watching me answering these answers and I was also able to understand how to change my intonation when speaking and what to put more emphasis on.

I hope these tips are helpful to everyone and I hope you have success in your application journeys!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if I'm eligible for March 2025 TCs if I have yet to start the SQE? Is the next SQE intake for Sept 2024 or is there an earlier start? @Jessica Booker
    It depends on the firm's policy of how much of the SQE you need to complete/pass before starting a TC, and also what form of prep course you go on.

You technically could start a flexible SQE prep course now, sit SQE1 in July 2024, and then SQE2 in November and have your results around mid-March 2025.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    @axelbeugre Please could I quickly get your opinion on this.

I did a practice interview with someone from my uni's careers service and I explained that sometimes I exaggerate or make up examples for STAR answers and she said it's best to respond with "haven't been in that situation, but a similar position I have been in....I responded with..." or "I haven't experienced that yet, but this is how I would react in that position..."

What do you make of this? Thank you!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I did a practice interview with someone from my uni's careers service and I explained that sometimes I exaggerate or make up examples for STAR answers and she said it's best to respond with "haven't been in that situation, but a similar position I have been in....I responded with..." or "I haven't experienced that yet, but this is how I would react in that position..."

I wouldn't completely make up answers - this is pretty risky approach, especially in an industry where integrity is everything.

I agree with the careers advisor - its best to apply your most relevant/appropriate answers rather than making them up.

Pennine Valley

Esteemed Member
    Nov 18, 2023

Nah I’ve never done this myself. My answers are always completely real and never made up on the spot

7D61E24F-CB10-4623-BBA8-1E24F56CA4C2.jpeg

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.