TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    @axelbeugre Please could I quickly get your opinion on this.

I did a practice interview with someone from my uni's careers service and I explained that sometimes I exaggerate or make up examples for STAR answers and she said it's best to respond with "haven't been in that situation, but a similar position I have been in....I responded with..." or "I haven't experienced that yet, but this is how I would react in that position..."

What do you make of this? Thank you!!
    @Pennine Valley HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAA Loved your answer to this

In my opinion, it's a blend of honesty and strategy, because I’m afraid that admitting to a lack of experience in too many scenarios can lead to the interviewers concluding you lack the necessary competencies for the job, since these interviews aim to assess those very competencies. I’ve been rejected after ACs for less important reasons than this

Therefore, I believe there's a fine line when it comes to embellishing scenarios. It's one thing to outright fabricate experiences, like claiming you raised money for a charity when you didn't, which is not advisable ahaha. On the other hand, slightly exaggerating the extent of your collaboration within a team might be common.
    That’s the part where I perform best in my interviews and I exaggerate all my answers lolol

E.g. I did volunteer at the uni legal advice clinic and had to work in a team to write an advice letter for a client, however, we just split the tasks and did research. So I obv had to embellish this scenario a little bit

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yesss that's something I picked up on during the STAR practice today. I don't focus on T and A (challenge/action) as much as I need to. So thank you for emphasising that. I don't know if other candidates struggle with it too, but I find it quite difficult to follow it in a structured way. I need more preparation to fix it, I think. Especially since the VIs are also short.
    Oh I slightly disagree on the A part - this should be the majority of your answer. Basically very brief S and T, and mainly detail around A and R (result, reflection, and reward).

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Anyway, this is so frustrating guys. My weakness in ACs has always been the case studies - feedback consistently highlights my strengths in motivation, competencies, and written tasks, but I falter when it comes to case study interviews.

Today, though, was a significant improvement with Hogan Lovells - it was the best I've ever performed in a case study interview, and I felt really proud of my progress. It wasn't flawless, but it was a huge step forward compared to my past attempts.

However, what’s frustrating is that I feel like I bombed the situational interview. 😭😭 I don't believe I answered the questions incorrectly (I did offer to assist a struggling trainee and so on), but I think my responses lacked structure and were a bit disjointed. I'm just venting about a tough moment - wishing I could do better. Sorry for the personal meltdown.
    But when I finally make progress in one direction, I feel like I struggle in another.. like I finally mastered competencies and never had a situational interview until this one so I didn’t have that kind of practice. 😳

HOPE THEY LIKED ME

EllaClayton

Valued Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    If we’re still waiting to hear back from a firm post-AC, and have other offers coming in, could we email grad rec to ask for an update on our AC outcome? Or would it be unprofessional to do so?
    I’ve never done it myself but I’ve seen on this forum and grad rec mentioned at my AC for a firm if you need to have a result sooner rather than later you can contact them for an update but it’s not a guarantee they will have one eg if it’s a firm that complete their ACs and then decide on vac scheme offers, they might not have finished all ACs to have made their decision yet!

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
    Nov 10, 2023
    Jones Day PFO post app! The amount of rejections I've gotten is mad but I know I'm good enough for this so these PFOs will never stop me. If anyone is in the same boat as me and has just been receiving rejections post-app it's okay, the firm just wasn't for you :) Btw I hope I'm not coming off as too confident, I have just spent so much time doubting myself but that has never helped me, everyone is worthy of getting a VS/TC!

Last edited:

EllaClayton

Valued Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    Jones Day PFO post app! The amount of rejections I've gotten is mad but I know I'm good enough for this so these PFOs will never stop me. If anyone is in the same boat as me and has just been receiving rejections post-app it's okay, the firm just wasn't for you :) Btw I hope I'm not coming off as too confident, I have just spent so much time doubting myself but that has never helped me, everyone is worth of getting a VS/TC!
    Sorry to hear that but it sounds like you’ve got a great mindset! Do you mind me asking when you applied?

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Anyway, this is so frustrating guys. My weakness in ACs has always been the case studies - feedback consistently highlights my strengths in motivation, competencies, and written tasks, but I falter when it comes to case study interviews.

Today, though, was a significant improvement with Hogan Lovells - it was the best I've ever performed in a case study interview, and I felt really proud of my progress. It wasn't flawless, but it was a huge step forward compared to my past attempts.

However, what’s frustrating is that I feel like I bombed the situational interview. 😭😭 I don't believe I answered the questions incorrectly (I did offer to assist a struggling trainee and so on), but I think my responses lacked structure and were a bit disjointed. I'm just venting about a tough moment - wishing I could do better. Sorry for the personal meltdown.
    But when I finally make progress in one direction, I feel like I struggle in another.. like I finally mastered competencies and never had a situational interview until this one so I didn’t have that kind of practice. 😳

HOPE THEY LIKED ME
    hey ive read before how you struggled w case studies as well so MASSIVE CONGRATS AND WELL DONE on progressing in that regard, honestly im the same as u in my last AC, my case study jus let me down, everything was there but that and I struggle with it massively as well (I completely get ur frustration)

I'd love some tips on how you improved ur approach to case studies, help a sis out please 😩

p.s even if u struggled with the situational judgement, if you did holistically really well as a whole w some slight falters, thats completely ok theyre never looking for a finished, polished product so dont write yourself off so quickly, im sure you smashed it

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.