Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any thoughts as to the main commercial trends affecting law firms today? Main points I can think of are AI, but would definitely appreciate more insight!
Here are some articles that might be worth a read to consider the answer to this question. I would make sure your answer is more tailored to the type of firm you are applying to though:

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023
Why is it a shock to the system that Slaughter's vacation scheme consisted predominantly of white students, especially considering that white people account for roughly 80% of the UK population? I think we can have a legitimate conversation regarding representation, but I'm keen to understand what a perfectly representative vacation scheme, in your opinion, would have looked like. I think this conversation will only be meaningful if we define the metric by which we judge representation. If the metric is the general UK population, then having a VS consisting of over 50% white students is a perfectly representative one. If the metric is London, which has a 36% white population, then we can begin to say that white students on the VS are over-represented. In any case, there is still the question of why a VS demographic should be artificially made to represent a wider population.

Edit: In response to the moderator comment, they're right - my 36% stat only accounts for the White Brit population, the general White population in London could be anything near 50%, but my overarching point still stands.

Moderator - statistics relating to the White population of London are incorrect and only factor in the 'White British' population of London.
Welcome to the TCLA forum! As this is your first post you may not be aware that the moderators have asked to move diversity discussion to a new thread. Feel free to start one and once again a warm welcome!

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Like what you’ve said. Super interesting. Are there any firms you think have “worked well” with diversity? From your experiences and friends of course.

From what I’ve gathered the firms with bigger cohorts and “reputation” tend to do better. In terms of having a good amount and a strong approach for wellbeing.
clifford chance seems to be one imo, i’ve never managed to apply because their deadlines are quite early but just based off the people i know there and speaking to the former grad rec toby horner(?), they seem genuinely interested in diversity. i don’t have more experience than this so i could be wrong but based off the people i know who are there and meeting them at law fairs etc. they seem sincere

Reactions: Sharon Wu

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    - Interest rates
    - ESG
    - Private equity changes (fundraising and structuring)
    - UK election + international conflicts

These are the only ones I could think off the top of my head!
    I'll add onto that

- Legal recruitment, of course NQ salaries have skyrocketed in the last 10 years, but particularly those in PE are becoming extremely expensive. As an example Neel Sachdev, a PE partner, was lured from K&E to Paul Weiss for a reported 20 million a year. In terms of pay, this is a battle that US firms are winning and will win easily, UK firms can't compete, so they have to look for other ways to attract the top talent as relative to the below point, the more talented a lawyer = more efficient time spent on matters = more profit.

- At the same time as salaries going up, clients are becoming ever more demanding on reducing costs, through software such as persuit, or by demanding alternative fee arrangements rather than traditional hourly billing. This has meant that many firms, mainly MC and US are pricing themselves out of a lot of work as it is no longer worth their time/reputation to do such work, therefore limiting themselves on the size/type of work that they do and meaning a lot of firms are fighting over an ever more exclusive amount of work.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Any thoughts as to the main commercial trends affecting law firms today? Main points I can think of are AI, but would definitely appreciate more insight!
    AI: lots of firms are collaborating with tech companies to create their own AI tools to help clients & the new EU AI law that’s coming out. Data privacy/cybersecurity in the context of AI is also worth reading into.

Expansion: some firms are looking to open new offices across the globe and it may be worth researching where would be best for the firm you’re applying to. You can bring in commercial knowledge here through your research.

D&I: not sure if you’ve seen the discourse on this forum about diversity but firms are talking about it more so it would be worth looking into as well. Particularly their own individual initiatives and having an answer as to why diversity is important in the legal profession.

Would also be worth knowing who that firm’s competitors are, what their client offering is and why the firm you have applied to is “better”.

Other topics: Israel/Hamas, the transition from private equity to private credit, energy/natural resources & ESG, understanding the business cycle, how an M&A transaction works etc.

Everything I’ve mentioned is based on my experience at ACs, interviews and on my applications!

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Has anyone else completed nrf’s games and found the report so weird? I got a lot to the right and a lot to the left and the rest in the middle, I read through the qualities and I think they are completely not who I am in real life! Shall I assume pfo rn? This is so absurd!
    yeah I was pretty confused from the report as well but its not a pfo until the rejection email comes thru

studentdelaw786

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2019
    Has anyone else completed nrf’s games and found the report so weird? I got a lot to the right and a lot to the left and the rest in the middle, I read through the qualities and I think they are completely not who I am in real life! Shall I assume pfo rn? This is so absurd!
    I did it last week. a lot of mine were in the middle and only a select few were to the left or right. Some of the analysis they gave was weird tho.

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    Honestly I think there's little value in these feedback reports from firms in general, but I do think the thing about "if you got right or left you just exhibit that quality a little differently from everyone else" was extra useless. Like, is that good? Is that bad? Definitely wouldn't assume PFO until they actually tell you to FO though.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Honestly I think there's little value in these feedback reports from firms in general, but I do think the thing about "if you got right or left you just exhibit that quality a little differently from everyone else" was extra useless. Like, is that good? Is that bad? Definitely wouldn't assume PFO until they actually tell you to FO though.
    word, that 'quality a lil different from everyone else' jus reminded me of being told 'you're not different...youre jus a lil unique' 🤣 found no comfort with that phrasing

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Hogan Lovells rejection post-AC😭 I don’t know what’s wrong with me
    Despite my best efforts, it seems like I consistently struggle to advance past this particular stage in the recruitment process. Every time, I go in feeling prepared and come out thinking I've done okay, only to be met with disappointment.
    I can't help but feel a bit lost as to how I can improve or what it is that I'm missing.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.