TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Cawareness101

Standard Member
Feb 5, 2024
This isn't strictly relevant, but if anyone here has done an interview (VI) when they weren't prepared or in the right headspace and still made it through, I would love to hear about some positive stories. I literally got rejected from my dream summer volunteering role yesterday and have been so anxious about diss deadlines that I rushed my Mishcon VI this morning and I could feel my mind going blank a few times. It was an easy interview in terms of questions tho so I can't help but be annoyed. :(
Hi for RS it was the day I got rejected from my dream firm that I had been doing countless of their first year schemes, insight programmes since sixth form. I did the R/S VI like 30mins before the deadline just to do and I managed to get an AC somehow so honestly don’t waste time stressing

• 🤝
Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Hey @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker do you have any advise for a fellow non-law first cycle applicant for the AC? I have been so far answering the standard questions (why law, why this firm etc), as well as going through some SJ questions. My concern is more the case study. I have learnt the basic M&A terms and researched how lawyers get involved with it in various departments e.g. finance, IP, litigation etc. Would there be any other commercial legal basics i should know? I have been summarising 1 FT article out loud for 10 mins a day to feel more comfortable summarising / using commercial vocab. But just wanted to know if you had any other advise for general things to prep for a first time AC?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Has anyone ever experienced any problems with Shortlister for VI? Mine crashed about 5/6 times during a VI today and I had to re do two of the questions three times. I actually think it went quite well overall!! also emailed the firm to let them know what happened - is there any chance the technical issues could negatively impact my performance? I’m worried that the video might have been frozen for a few questions haha

ccfuturetraineesolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2022
How do I answer why I have not yet secured a TC yet? @axelbeugre Thank you!
Ik this question is not directed towards me but I also had the same concern when I was asked a similar question during an interview I did. I was completely thrown off guard by this question as it was not something I had ever been asked before.

With regards to this question I think you should preface your response by acknowledging that this is a competitive process (in doing so, I feel like you show maturity and the ability to be self-reflective). Then say that, because you know is competitive, you have been finding ways to maintain the necessary skills and knowledge to be a solicitor/ trainee solicitor - e.g attending open day! Virtual events/ internships, etc.

Hope this helps!

saj2002

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 7, 2023
    Has anyone received the shoosmiths feedback report. What was everyone’s strength and weaknesses? I got open connector as my weakness and considering it’s one of their top values, not sure I’ll be getting the good news from them anytime soon
    How long ago did you do the test? I did it on the deadline and I'm still waiting

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    congrats, this is great news! May I ask how you scored on the VR test and what your strengths were for the SJT questions? Thank you!!
    Thats amazing, manifesting the same for myself too! When did you do the tests?
    Did the VR/SJT on the 2nd of this month. I scored average for everything in VR except Comprehension and Interpretation where I scored above average - seemed a bit of a disappointing result to me overall. Top strengths were learning agility, resilience, and attention to detail.

Reactions: m12

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.