TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawstudent5533

Feb 1, 2023
Thank you to everyone for all your comments and advice - this is a really amazing community and a great one to be a part of :)

My AC was with Skadden, which was my dream firm, so when they rejected me, it sucked. I now have the VS offer from Addleshaw, which I am, of course, grateful for, but it's still tinged with disappointment. I want to shake that feeling as everyone around me is very positive, especially when I've been working towards this for years now.

Knowing I could have had the opportunity to work for a firm like Skadden though and missed that opportunity is still getting to me. I know it shouldn't and you all make such good points (and I know I will be able to transfer later in my career). I'm sure doing the VS will be a great experience and one I'll learn a lot from, especially when I know there are many out there who would do a lot to be in my position.

I wondered if you had any wisdom to impart @Jessica Booker? Is there a way to still feel proud and upbeat about a VS from a firm that doesn't motivate you as much as one you got rejected from/its practice area strengths don't align with your main goals? I want to try and adopt a more positive mindset about it all :)
No worries :) I actually think AG has a lot of areas that cross with Skadden's, particularly its corporate and financial services offering, the only exception being its arbitration practice. However it is completely possible to transfer once qualified, I know many from LinkedIn who trained at AG specifically who moved to Skadden, Kirkland and Weil. Whilst I don't think it's fair to say you will absolutely move from AG as soon as you qualify, the opportunity to move to a US firm is definitely there. Even if you search NQ jobs in London on Google right now, the majority of firms with NQ positions open are the US firms comparable to Skadden, even in this dire lateral market.

Sometimes life doesn't go the way you expect, and I truly believe it is always for a good reason. Maybe at AG you'll find a mentor who provides fantastic training, you may benefit from a larger trainee cohort, or you may find an area of law you unexpectedly really enjoy. Try to keep an open mind if you can and I'm sure things will work out!

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2018
I shared some general tips that might be useful as starting point in this post: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-167210

I do understand the struggle of preparing for assessment centres but I hope those tips are going to be helpful as they were for me when I was preparing!
Thank you so much for this! I love your content. It’s always so helpful. Do you have suggestions on how to practice for the written exercises in assessment centres?

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023
Thank you to everyone for all your comments and advice - this is a really amazing community and a great one to be a part of :)

My AC was with Skadden, which was my dream firm, so when they rejected me, it sucked. I now have the VS offer from Addleshaw, which I am, of course, grateful for, but it's still tinged with disappointment. I want to shake that feeling as everyone around me is very positive, especially when I've been working towards this for years now.

Knowing I could have had the opportunity to work for a firm like Skadden though and missed that opportunity is still getting to me. I know it shouldn't and you all make such good points (and I know I will be able to transfer later in my career). I'm sure doing the VS will be a great experience and one I'll learn a lot from, especially when I know there are many out there who would do a lot to be in my position.

I wondered if you had any wisdom to impart @Jessica Booker? Is there a way to still feel proud and upbeat about a VS from a firm that doesn't motivate you as much as one you got rejected from/its practice area strengths don't align with your main goals? I want to try and adopt a more positive mindset about it all :)
I hope you don't me asking but what makes Skadden your dream firm? Just curious as the firm was never on my list and you sound genuinely passionate!

Hopefultrainee22

Feb 14, 2024
No worries :) I actually think AG has a lot of areas that cross with Skadden's, particularly its corporate and financial services offering, the only exception being its arbitration practice. However it is completely possible to transfer once qualified, I know many from LinkedIn who trained at AG specifically who moved to Skadden, Kirkland and Weil. Whilst I don't think it's fair to say you will absolutely move from AG as soon as you qualify, the opportunity to move to a US firm is definitely there. Even if you search NQ jobs in London on Google right now, the majority of firms with NQ positions open are the US firms comparable to Skadden, even in this dire lateral market.

Sometimes life doesn't go the way you expect, and I truly believe it is always for a good reason. Maybe at AG you'll find a mentor who provides fantastic training, you may benefit from a larger trainee cohort, or you may find an area of law you unexpectedly really enjoy. Try to keep an open mind if you can and I'm sure things will work out!
The international arbitration element was my main appeal for Skadden, and I had a preference for US firms in general. As you say though, there is a lot of crossover.

And you’re right on the second point. I know AG is still a very good firm and I’m trying to keep an open mind about the process still. I can’t believe this is even a thought (but I know the main reason people get a job is of course money), but the difference in NQ salaries also makes me wonder what I could have had 😭 I know that’s not a primary motivation, but makes me think I’ve settled.

Reactions: lawstudent5533

Hopefultrainee22

Feb 14, 2024
I hope you don't me asking but what makes Skadden your dream firm? Just curious as the firm was never on my list and you sound genuinely passionate!
It was mainly I’m really keen to become involved in international arbitration and I’d say they’re (along with W&C) the best in the City for it.

The emphasis placed on pro bono was also a pretty big factor.

AG also has a lot of positives to it though and I wouldn’t have applied otherwise so trying to refocus the energy on that :)

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021

No problem :)

I’ve seen your point about NQ salaries and I would try not to focus on that *too* much. We’d all be lying if we said that didn’t factor into our thinking when picking a firm but the money you’d make at AG (£95k is it as an NQ?) is still very, very good money. It may not compare to a US firm like Skadden, but it doesn’t mean you won’t reach those figures eventually, whether that’s through a lateral transfer or progressing up the AG ranks.

If you’re in a firm where you really enjoy the work, the people, and the culture, I’m sure that will balance out not having a £160k salary 😉

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Okay I am completely lost with the SJTs. Just finished my final one for the season which was with Womble Bond. Does anyone know how Grad Rec decides which report goes forward and which one does not? I assume that everyone is going to have weak points and strengths so how do they decide? Especially firms that don't have a V.I. at the end

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If a partner brings up your commercial topic on your application form in an interview and you didn’t have the answers/hadn’t looked at the story again since applying 3 months ago is this a bad thing? Would this affect the outcome?

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Any insight? :)
I think it might have a negative impact to a certain degree but it is difficult to say without having been in the interview since you might have redeemed yourself with all the other answers.

I think there is no point in dwelling over an answer at this point, you have sat the interview and you have done the best that you could. Chances are you thought it went bad and in reality the partner did not even remember this episode.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a partner brings up your commercial topic on your application form in an interview and you didn’t have the answers/hadn’t looked at the story again since applying 3 months ago is this a bad thing? Would this affect the outcome?

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Any insight? :)
Agree with @axelbeugre - it is a possibility. This is quite a common thing to happen in interviews, which is why it is really important to pick a topic you are confident about or will keep up to date on when writing an application.

However, similarly to what Axel has said, you maybe over critical of what actually happened in the interview, so I don’t think you can assume this will affect the outcome. Plus there would have been a whole load of other answers that also made up your performance. This was just one question.

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    It was mainly I’m really keen to become involved in international arbitration and I’d say they’re (along with W&C) the best in the City for it.

AG also has a lot of positives to it though and I wouldn’t have applied otherwise so trying to refocus the energy on that :)
    Don’t forget that law is a 30-40 year career, just because you’re not at your dream firm now doesn’t mean that you can’t go to Skadden later. Almost no one stays at the same firm their entire career. Get the TC, then once you qualify, see if you can move, either to Skadden or another firm that’s a stepping stone. Or you never know, my brief research tells me that AG has a Singapore office devoted to int arbitration(secondment opportunity). Everything happens for a reason…

J53

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024

Also in terms of salary, the net difference over 10 years before you hopefully start being considered for partnership, although of course that’s not a given is according to my math about 70k a year. After tax that’s roughly 40k and works out to about an extra £16 an hour. If you became a partner at Skadden, no mean feat I know, you would make the difference back over someone who had been at Skadden their entire career but had not yet achieved partnership in 1 year. Probably something like 90% of your career earnings will come as a partner, that’s where the real salary disparities lie. Don’t worry. 90k starting will still get you a house.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is a great step forward in your career no matter where you eventually end up.

Whether your initial career is with a firm like AG or another firm like Skadden, securing a vacation scheme is a strong way of developing your candidacy further for any firm. You should consider it as a positive step forward to develop your skills and knowledge.

The benefits of attending the vacation scheme will not just be about the chance to convert with AG, but it will undoubtedly support your career both in the short term and long term, whether that results in you reapplying to Skadden in the summer or next year, or whether it’s later in your career as a qualified lawyer.

Very few people’s careers are direct - many require multiple steps to get where they want to get to. And securing your VS with AG is a key step in that journey.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.