TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Does anyone know how many AC’s there are to number of places for W&C?
    They keep interviewing till they fill it with potential W&C people. This can mean they send out interview invites even in late March and April if they still have places. They don't have a number of interviews to places offered metric like other firms according to grad rec.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi everyone, does anyone have any experience of asking firms for reasonable adjustments at assessment centres? I have dyslexia and receive extra time in university exams. I have an AC with AG coming up and feel I would benefit from extra time but not sure how this will be received - I wouldn't want for them to subconsciously discriminate because I took extra time to finish a task but equally want to make sure I perform to the best of my ability.

@Jessica Booker Do you know how AG deal with reasonable adjustments at AC's?
    I think this is a valid request and I am sure they will gladly accomodate you, I would not worry about it!

Law firms are really understanding when it comes to things like this and they do comprehend that people face different issues and they should be accommodated to perform to the best of their abilities as you said.

Reactions: Lawyer03

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Read the article on [general topic]. A client has asked for an overview and the key points. In 600 words, please summarize the article.
    Max 600 words

@Jessica Booker Hi :) For an application question like this, should I focus on summarizing the points within the article or is there a specific analysis that is required, i.e., highlighting the opportunities or challenges for the client? I mean I think I should focus only on the key points but I really don't need any more than 300 words so I don't know why it's allowing so much word count haha Thank you so, so much! 🙏
    I shared some tips in this post some time ago and I think they can be helpful to you too: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151489

Good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    How can I perhaps answer a question about why I want to pursue a career in Law in a specific region? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker :)
    I would highlight 3 reasons why you are making that decision:
    • Is it because of the diverse clients the region has to offer?
    • Is it because of the practice area you are interested in which is well positioned in the region compared to others?
    • Is it because of the nature of the the deals and cases that region deals with?
    These are some of the things I would consider and potentially discuss.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, does anyone have any experience of asking firms for reasonable adjustments at assessment centres? I have dyslexia and receive extra time in university exams. I have an AC with AG coming up and feel I would benefit from extra time but not sure how this will be received - I wouldn't want for them to subconsciously discriminate because I took extra time to finish a task but equally want to make sure I perform to the best of my ability.

@Jessica Booker Do you know how AG deal with reasonable adjustments at AC's?
    I don’t know how this firm specifically does but ultimately it should be the same way any firm does.

You don’t need to disclose your condition, you just need to disclose the reasonable adjustment you would require. The firm has the right to determine whether it is a reasonable adjustment or not. For instance with some group exercises they can’t give you additional time because everyone needs to be given the task at the same time.

But for anything that requires significant reading or writing, a 25% extra time adjustment is 1) a fairly common request and 2) fairly easy to add the additional time.

Reactions: Lawyer03

ccfuturetraineesolicitor

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2022
    Literally, I was begging W&C to send me my rejection on the phone rn. I asked that I need to know if I am progressed to AC or not ASAP, as I have full time job and I should ask for my annual leave 6 weeks in advance. I applied to spring VS and I cannot postpone it to summer as it overlaps with another scheme that I secured already. Every time they say we will update you, but nothing. I literally said people were offered schemes already, so just this rejection so I can plan my life. I know it’s probably not the right thing to show impatience to GR, but I have my own circumstances, and they should adjust with personal requests, if reasonable.
    Anyway, I will consider it as a rejection officially now, because I will decline in both situations…
    I understand your frustration - it’s rather unfair to leave applicants hanging for so long, especially since there may be certain arrangements that need to be made to accommodate the ac timings they provide (and from my experience, the choices are very limited).

Did W&C’s grad rec mention what is taking them so long? I’ve definitely seen people on this forum, who were invited to complete the VI after me, progress to the AC.

• 🤝
    Reactions: yueyueer and DGI235

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    I understand your frustration - it’s rather unfair to leave applicants hanging for so long, especially since there may be certain arrangements that need to be made to accommodate the ac timings they provide (and from my experience, the choices are very limited).

Did W&C’s grad rec mention what is taking them so long? I’ve definitely seen people on this forum, who were invited to complete the VI after me, progress to the AC.
    Yeah I can tell you exactly the situation. I did my VI 7 weeks ago, and got the rejection today after insisting to get a response ASAP. I argued them that people doing VI after me getting AC invitation. So basically, they want to offer the people they like first and leave the rejection to the end, probably in case they fill one spot or two with those who are waiting. However, basically if you don’t get a response post VI within 2 to 3 weeks, it 90% a rejection. That’s what I understood from W&C process.
    I got my rejection only when I insisted to get it.

ccfuturetraineesolicitor

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2022
    Yeah I can tell you exactly the situation. I did my VI 7 weeks ago, and got the rejection today after insisting to get a response ASAP. I argued them that people doing VI after me getting AC invitation. So basically, they want to offer the people they like first and leave the rejection to the end, probably in case they fill one spot or two with those who are waiting. However, basically if you don’t get a response post VI within 2 to 3 weeks, it 90% a rejection. That’s what I understood from W&C process.
    I got my rejection only when I insisted to get it.
    Thank you for sharing this! Is this what they told you?? This is quite disheartening tbh - I feel like it’s better if they just ripped the plaster off sooner rather than later (so to speak).

Don’t let this experience put you down!! You still managed to secure a VS elsewhere. I would focus on the wins instead :)

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    I would highlight 3 reasons why you are making that decision:
    • Is it because of the diverse clients the region has to offer?
    • Is it because of the practice area you are interested in which is well positioned in the region compared to others?
    • Is it because of the nature of the the deals and cases that region deals with?
    These are some of the things I would consider and potentially discuss.
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful! :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

farr_x

Jan 29, 2024
    For those waiting for Dentons I just had a call with GR and they said they take time to give people AC because they review applications in stages. So those waiting still be hopeful. Also once you’ve done the AC you hear back in a week
    Hey, would you happen to know if they are doing ACs separately for direct TCs? I know people have been invited to their AC for the vac scheme, but heard nothing regarding direct TCs

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.