TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

neonorange

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2024
I would stress how you are a very curious and inquisitive person and you are actually interested in more areas and sectors the firm works in such as xyz and dive deeper into those.

I think that in interviews there is a subtle way to diverge the conversation towards something you want to say and this might be the best way in my opinion.

Alternatively, you can pick up a certain aspect of private wealth such as working closely with clients and how you understand that there are other departments that can provide that too such M&A or something like that.

I hope this approach works and good luck with your interview and congratulations for obtaining in the first place!
Thanks so much, that's really helpful advice!

Reactions: axelbeugre

RonRod13

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2023
View attachment 5823

Those who have taken Watson Glaser tests and understand the “assumption” part, please can someone explain this to me? I understand the other parts but for some reason when it gets to “assumption” I get confused.

Does “assumption not made” mean that the statement does not necessarily match with the assumption and “assumption made” would mean that the statement matches the assumption so correlates but is just re-worded?

Please could a question and answer be provided but also explained a little?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker do you perhaps have any tips on how I can better understand the “assumption” part of the WG? 😊
Basically, assumption made = is the assumption logically justified? In this case, its certainly reasonable to assume that managerial can be defined/quantified/measured etc.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sunshinepink

airyfairy123

Sep 1, 2022
How long does everyone take to prepare for interviews including forming their competency examples and motivation answers to actually being able to speak freely in interviews?
For competency, it depends on how quickly you are able to draw examples from your experiences and flesh it out into STAR. Then practise until you are certain you'll be able to think of that example on the spot when asked during an interview.

For motivation, just go back over your application and maybe research more into those reasons to solidify them further. Practice as you would with the competency answers

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
Just received feedback from the US law that rejected me post AC. They told me that I excelled in the group exercise and I was good in the partner-technical interview (although I could elaborate more on some points). Apparently, the competency interview was my downfall. They told me that I didn't respect the 2 minute limit per question in 3 questions. That I shouldn't have talked for 3-4 minutes when answering the 3 questions. This is in stark contrast to a previous AC where I was told that I shouldn't be concise and I should speak for more than 2 minutes to elaborate more 😂.They also emphasised twice that it wasn't the content of my answers but the length of the 3 answers that was too much :(

AnonKn635

Star Member
Dec 15, 2023
I would wait to get an actual offer before asking to be moved personally. Law firms are usually very understanding when it comes to situations like this so I would work hard to get the offer and then see what can be done to move you afterwards.

Ideally, if they are not able to move you to the summer scheme you could ask them to consider you for a direct training contract if possible.
Hi axel, I am in a similar position. How does one go about asking to be considered for a direct tc. Would you have to leverage other offers or just ask directly?

Reactions: axelbeugre

diligentbean

Jan 9, 2023
I don't think they're ones you can really practice for much if I'm honest. It's cliche but I would just answer them honestly; I've done the strategy before where you try to think of the "right" answer, but the obvious one often isn't right.

I did both the BM and RS ones, and, like you, I got dissimilar outcomes in each of the pillars, despite answering honestly in both. I don't get how I can be a 7/9 for grit in one test and 3/9 on another!
Thanks, your insight is really helpful! Yeah, my grit was significantly different in both of them. I also don’t understand how I could’ve shown anymore willingness to embrace digital solutions without selecting an answer that seemed like the wrong/ absolute last thing I should do as a trainee to a partner.

It’s a shame to complete the application process and get through to the next stage to have to rely on luck so much.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.