TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Ok but once again, I think you are getting confused between HOW businesses compete and WHO the competitors actually are. Those are just ways that law firms compete against each other and try to stand out.

Let’s look at the example of the car industry for instance: Tesla and Ferrari are both car manufactures. Now just because Tesla produces electric cars and Ferrari produces high performance petrol cars doesn’t mean that they are not competitors. Just because they try to target different audiences, brand themselves differently, price their cars differently etc. does not take away from the fundamental aspect that they are both car manufacturers in the same industry.
    Ferrari and Tesla are not competitors

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
    Nov 18, 2023
    Being in the same broad industry ≠ competitors. Competitors fight for the same market share. That might be at a particular price point, in a particular region or otherwise. For example, The Commercial Law Academy (am I allowed to mention them here LOL) is fighting for the same market share as TLCA (people looking to go into corporate law). By contrast, a business helping people get into investment banking is still in the industry of getting people into professional careers but is not threatening TCLA's/The CLA's market share
    The commercial law academy is fighting for the same market share as TCLA? That doesn’t make sense, how can it be fighting against itself?

And this example only reinforces my point further if anything. TCLA is specifically in the business of helping people get into LAW. It’s found a niche industry and producing a service within that niche industry. Their competitors would be chambers student, legal cheek etc and other businesses that try to help students get into LAW.

They are not competing against companies like Wall Street oasis, corporate finance institute etc. These are some of the companies that try to help students into BANKING (another niche area of business) you are comparing apples to oranges in your case.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    dear god here we go again
    Girl Eye Roll GIF

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    @Jessica Booker Mother please come and give these kids some slaps or at least something to worry about.
    I don't know, I sort of love when it's obvious that everyone is so stressed about hearing back and interviews and ACs that we devolve into "are Ferrari and Tesla competitors" chat. Slightly more interesting than endless "have u heard from withers".

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    The commercial law academy is fighting for the same market share as TCLA? That doesn’t make sense, how can it be fighting against itself?

And this example only reinforces my point further if anything. TCLA is specifically in the business of helping people get into LAW. It’s found a niche industry and producing a service within that niche industry. Their competitors would be chambers student, legal cheek etc and other businesses that try to help students get into LAW.

They are not competing against companies like Wall Street oasis, corporate finance institute etc. These are some of the companies that try to help students into BANKING (another niche area of business) you are comparing apples to oranges in your case.

The Commercial Law Academy is different to TCLA which is The Corporate Law Academy. So yes they are competitors and probably have an overlap of users.

Reactions: Percypig12

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.