Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In the past, I have done a vacation scheme with an international law firm where I had the opportunity to sit within two departments. In one department, I developed an excellent rapport with my supervisor and received glowing feedback in my work. In another department, I had a good start with my supervisor. However, when I was asked which university I had attended to complete my law conversion course and professional legal studies (both non-Russell group universities), I was given a cold shoulder. Any subsequent emails with this supervisor received no response and I received no feedback on my work.

When HR offered feedback after my rejection, they lied to my face and made soo many things up. When I challenged any points that I disagreed with, the response from HR was that they could not comment as they were not present and that the decision is final. Has anyone experienced this?
What kind of things did they lie about?

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
You mention time is literally money and that lawyers have schedules to keep to.

In my opinion, I would still think that a lot of time is unnecessarily wasted in meetings due to reductions in productivity. At the end of the day, lawyers are human beings and not machines so I highly doubt that a lawyer is productive all of the time.
As a lawyer, you are rarely working as an individual; you will be working as part of a team therefore you need to have meetings. Of course time is wasted, no one is productive 100% of the time, that’s very unrealistic. But as a lawyer, you record your time/time needs to be accounted for. When I say time is money, I mean for example, I work as a paralegal and even a 5 minute call costs money.

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Thank you for your response.

Although I do not always think that having good answers for motivational and competency questions is correlated to actual performance in the job.
    even though I can see why firms ask competency questions, I completely agree with you. my issue with competency questions is that a lot of people tend to massively inflate their experiences. I know people who have fabricated scenarios just to answer the questions.

therealslimshady

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2024
    even though I can see why firms ask competency questions, I completely agree with you. my issue with competency questions is that a lot of people tend to massively inflate their experiences. I know people who have fabricated scenarios just to answer the questions.
    I definitely agree with your statement. Which now goes back to my question - surely it is better to fabricate a scenario to answer a competency question where you have never been in such a situation so as to avoid being marked down for not being able to come up with a genuine example?

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    Agreed. I think it also feels like we must have impressive answers for competency questions because the process is so competitive. I'm lucky enough to have a few years of work under my belt so I can draw on real examples for 90% of questions, but do wonder how second year university students are supposed to have enough life experience to answer a lot of the sort of questions that get asked in a way that feels sufficient (if not fabricated).

Reactions: addy2004 and Sharon Wu

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Happy Sixth Birthday TCLA

Happy Birthday Rainbow GIF by Hello All

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    Anybody else not heard at all from Mayer Brown post job simulation thing for the spring VS? I know this means I've been rejected, just wondering why they would not send me anything. 🤔
    I disagree, I don't think it means that at all. It says on their website that they recruit on a rolling basis - I only completed the job sim a week and a half ago and saw someone get an AC a couple of days later so I think until you hear from them you shouldn't assume!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Parsorandini

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Hey everyone,

I really need some advice. I applied for 10 summer vacation schemes and, while I'm still waiting for 4 responses, the outcomes haven't been in my favour so far - I've been through 3 assessment centres and got turned down after each.

It looks like my applications are good because I got to the next round for all of them, but I struggled with the assessments.

Now, I have a dilemma because... I'm an LPC grad and time isn't on my side, I'm thinking of going for direct TC applications for firms offering them. But here's the problem: a vacation scheme feels somewhat less daunting since there's room for them to assess you further throughout the vac scheme, unlike a straight-up TC offer??? So I think a vacation scheme is somewhat "easier" to obtain since they have another opportunity to assess you, unlike with a direct TC where the expectations are significantly higher.

If I couldn't land a vac scheme, how am I to secure a direct TC, especially considering my track record with assessment centres?? I can't decide whether to apply for direct training contracts now or wait for the next round of vacation schemes. I just had a feedback call with RPC and they said I was a strong candidate, they encouraged me to apply again in October. HL also said I did a great job in the case study interview, so I've finally improved there. This suggests that with some improvement this month, I could make it happen this year. Now, I'm really unsure what to do...

@axelbeugre I'd love to know your opinion on that as well...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.