TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

SirLancelot7777

Standard Member
Jan 19, 2024
Hey everyone, feeling a bit existential rn. Had a question for you.

I'm 3rd year non law, and applied to 20 firms this year. Rejected from all but one, I've got a Summer VS at a big international corporate firm. Application window is closed, and I haven’t made any non-law grad scheme applications.

I'm wondering whether, if I don't get a TC from my summer VS, it would be wiser to

A) Bite the bullet and self - fund a conversion. I'm aware the course is very intense so unsure how I'd make this work with sending out more applications
B) Get a part time job and really nail the applications post uni, and, if law doesn't work out, I'd have the time to apply to non law grad schemes as well

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone, feeling a bit existential rn. Had a question for you.

I'm 3rd year non law, and applied to 20 firms this year. Rejected from all but one, I've got a Summer VS at a big international corporate firm. Application window is closed, and I haven’t made any non-law grad scheme applications.

I'm wondering whether, if I don't get a TC from my summer VS, it would be wiser to

A) Bite the bullet and self - fund a conversion. I'm aware the course is very intense so unsure how I'd make this work with sending out more applications
B) Get a part time job and really nail the applications post uni, and, if law doesn't work out, I'd have the time to apply to non law grad schemes as well

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
You don’t need to rush into the GDL - there will be courses starting in Jan/Feb if you wanted some time out to apply for winter schemes and the winter TC deadline window.

This could all be a moot point though, as there is a reasonable chance you convert your summer scheme.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, anyone that's been offered a place on CMS' April Insight Programme - I got an offer email on Friday in which they said they'd send through a formal offer "shortly", deadline to accept on Wednesday. Has anyone received that formal offer yet? I'm still waiting haha, getting nervous and keen to accept before the deadline!
I would give them a call this afternoon if you haven’t received anything just saying you wanted to check if anything was sent as you haven’t received anything and you know the deadline is tomorrow.

Arf1309

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2022
Hi guys, anyone that's been offered a place on CMS' April Insight Programme - I got an offer email on Friday in which they said they'd send through a formal offer "shortly", deadline to accept on Wednesday. Has anyone received that formal offer yet? I'm still waiting haha, getting nervous and keen to accept before the deadline!
I'm in the same boat! Surely they will send it today!

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
Boodle Hatfield post-interview PFO but they offered me an open day so yay! I still have an application with them for a TC so hopefully, I'll get to the next stage with that and I can speak about the open day which should strengthen my application :)

Edit: I also just had my feedback call which was very quick and the reason why I didn't get it made a lot of sense so I'm genuinely not upset as I know that minor tweak can help me next time. Also, I appreciate the woman who interviewed me, she's so sweet and made the interview so relaxing. I'm happy a firm saw so much potential in me that they invited me to an open day!!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Boodle Hatfield post-interview PFO but they offered me an open day so yay! I still have an application with them for a TC so hopefully, I'll get to the next stage with that and I can speak about the open day which should strengthen my application :)

Edit: I also just had my feedback call which was very quick and the reason why I didn't get it made a lot of sense so I'm genuinely not upset as I know that minor tweak can help me next time. Also, I appreciate the woman who interviewed me, she's so sweet and made the interview so relaxing. I'm happy a firm saw so much potential in me that they invited me to an open day!!
I would take the invite to their open day that they saw potential in you for a future application, so although this isn't the outcome you would have hoped for, it is the next best alternative! Well done on securing the open day - not everyone will have been offered that.

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
I would take the invite to their open day that they saw potential in you for a future application, so although this isn't the outcome you would have hoped for, it is the next best alternative! Well done on securing the open day - not everyone will have been offered that.
Your comment has made me feel even better, thank you Jessica!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

SirLancelot7777

Standard Member
Jan 19, 2024
You don’t need to rush into the GDL - there will be courses starting in Jan/Feb if you wanted some time out to apply for winter schemes and the winter TC deadline window.

This could all be a moot point though, as there is a reasonable chance you convert your summer scheme.
Thank you Jessica. So to clarify, let's say that

1. I don't self-fund the GDL and instead apply for winter of 2024-2025 vacs.
2. I get one, do it over Christmas and receive a TC offer afterwards.
3. Would the firm from which I get my vac then pay for me to start the GDL in January? Or would they want me to wait another year and do it starting in Sept/Oct of that year?

Haven't seen any firms do this, but then I haven't been looking.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.