TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
Anyone got any comments on repeating answers in interviews? I did one interview over the phone with person A, now this week I have another one with person A and person B. I feel like lots of the stuff from the first interview will be covered as they're both competency based, but don't want to give the impression to person A that I only have a couple of script-prepared answers to things... it's just that my why me/why law/why this firm is really tight & I know it know in a punchy elevator package!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Anyone got any comments on repeating answers in interviews? I did one interview over the phone with person A, now this week I have another one with person A and person B. I feel like lots of the stuff from the first interview will be covered as they're both competency based, but don't want to give the impression to person A that I only have a couple of script-prepared answers to things... it's just that my why me/why law/why this firm is really tight & I know it know in a punchy elevator package!
    Ideally, I wouldn't do a word-for-word repeat, but it's no issue if the reasons are the same - it would make sense given you were providing your best reasons in the first interview!

• Love
    Reactions: hungry_for_TC

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Kld

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 7, 2023
    group activities in virtual assessment centres - just wondering if anyone could give any tips on how it works when there are lots of people? Do they break you into small groups? Is it hard to find space to say anything? Is it like on Teams when you can raise a hand? I'm terrified of cutting someone off as I know how nervous other candidates are. Do you tend to split task between smaller groups - or does the whole team work together?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    group activities in virtual assessment centres - just wondering if anyone could give any tips on how it works when there are lots of people? Do they break you into small groups? Is it hard to find space to say anything? Is it like on Teams when you can raise a hand? I'm terrified of cutting someone off as I know how nervous other candidates are. Do you tend to split task between smaller groups - or does the whole team work together?
    From my experience there was 30 in total all split into 3 group of 10.

We were given a topic/debate question we were then split into sub groups of 5 picking either side (for or against)

You’d discuss pointers in your sub group of 4 others and chose who’s speak on which topic if it were to arise from the other side.

You’d then join your group of 10 and discuss. If an area that my group member said they’d speak about is mentioned but they’re struggling to speak bring them into the convo stating they have points on this area. Bring others into the conversation and don’t take the spotlight. we had an assessor who was watching us discuss our methods in our sub group.

There was the odd person who’d go on a tangent but you just gotta smile and say “that’s an interesting point however we thought…”.

I found my sub team worked together rather than against as we knew what we wanted to say and we wanted our side to look better and more coherent.

If you find you speak at the same time as someone apologise and let them speak you’d be invited to speak after them. Plus they may make a point you can expand on.

This was my experience but I know there are other type of group assessments.

In my one it felt as though some of the candidates were being difficult on purpose and really stubborn on their points which I found quite negative as it showed they couldn’t accept other opinions. Don’t be that person.

Last edited:

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    Does anyone have a list of firms which DO allow SQE resits?
    Just seen the Legal Cheek article re CC withdrawing TCs from future trainees who failed…
    This isn't anything new though and they would have been aware from the terms of their offer. And many do allow resits as long as you have passed by the time the TC date starts. With Law Society Finals and LPC you would get results after the TC started and some people would be there one day and gone the next according to my parents.

midnightsky990422

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 10, 2023
    dont want to bring the mood down but im losing hope for gateley 😢 have a feeling they sent out the invites last week and the rest are pfos
    Same here unfortunately, gutted as I spent so long on it too. Although… I haven’t seen many AC offers on here yet so maybe there is still reason to hope?!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: legallybrunette8 and Sharon Wu

elektrajenkov

Star Member
    Dec 20, 2023
    Perhaps they will choose NOT to hold an Assessment Centre and will recruit directly from the SJT/VI instead.
    I'm pretty sure SH don't have ACs this year for Vacation Schemes! They recruit for the VS from SJT/VIs and then you go through an AC during the VS for the training contract offer. If you apply for a direct TC though, you'll have an AC.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Hi :) This may be a bit of a stupid question, but do you think it's okay to reach out to interviewers after the interview and thank them for them time/ follow up if you connected well? Thank you!
    I did post AC and interview they all replied back.

When I followed up with one partner they were happy to speak to me and answered further questions I had about their experience and the firm culture. I was able to find out info that wasn’t even published and how the firm goes above and beyond for those who work there regardless of seniority.

I thought it was great to connect as I now have good information for a TC interview with the firm….all being well. 😬😅

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    In response to Clifford Chance’s recent decision to withdraw training contract offers from students who failed the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE) on their first attempt, I propose creating a publicly accessible list of SQE resit policies by different firms. This information is crucial for aspiring solicitors when choosing where to apply strategically!

Please see this thread if you have any information: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/sqe-resit-policies-by-firm.8655/

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Genuinely heart goes out to those who will get their TC offer taken away due to failing an exam that is already an absolute mess, pursuing a career in law is mentally draining, practicing a career in law is mentally draining, and for a firm to just completely disregard future trainees over failing an exam that is well known to be extremely tuff is disgusting.

I wonder if any support is given to these student, I can’t imagine what they’ll be going through, and it doesn’t do anything to help the stigma around this career.

Shame on Clifford chance, and shame on those who follow suit.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi :) This may be a bit of a stupid question, but do you think it's okay to reach out to interviewers after the interview and thank them for them time/ follow up if you connected well? Thank you!
    If they have given you their email address or you were provided it as part of the recruitment process, then yes it’s not an issue doing this. If you have had to track down their email, then maybe less so (unless it’s in the public domain).

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.