TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi Jessica - just wondering if asking to be considered for a direct TC is viable if the firm only recruits through vac schemes?

I’m an in-house paralegal and have changed jobs to a place where I know they won’t be as understanding as my previous employer who allowed me to attend a VS.

I’m trying to work out if firms that only recruit through VS are completely off the table for me now.

Not sure if at all relevant but my new employer happens to be a major client of one of those firms.
It might be worth asking to be honest. I personally did with a firm that did not offer direct training contract and they were willing to offer me an opportunity so it never hurts to just ask.

Exceptions are made and you will be surprise how often exceptions happen so asking should not be a problem, especially given your situation. I personally think that as long as you reiterate your interest and passion for the firm and highlight how you do not want your circumstances to affect whether you can join the firm or not.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
The frustration and exhaustion you're feeling are completely valid. It's incredibly disheartening..

Your message hits incredibly close to home for me. Just now I received a rejection email from Mishcon after an assessment centre, and that concludes my cycle - I have not secured a single vac scheme. I cannot help but feel a mix of anger and exhaustion. Like you, I've put in a huge amount of effort and dedication: I achieved a first-class law degree and distinction in my LPC, which I self-funded. I even took electives such as private acquisitions to enhance my commercial knowledge and improve my performance in case studies (as some here suggested) because I was struggling with those.

After the case study at Mishcon I had high hopes as the associate even complimented me on identifying all the issues accurately and doing a great job!! It leaves me wondering, what more do they want? This process was for just a week-long work experience and I prepared so so much, giving it my all. I'm at a point where the thought of dropping out and never applying again feels tempting because I can't stand the constant cycle of hope and disappointment any longer. So I completely get you. There's a part of me that wishes someone had warned me about the uselessness of all the effort I poured into my law degree.

Despite the pain and frustration, I want to say to both of us: if this is truly our dream, we shouldn't give up on it. The road to achieving our goals is often much tougher than we anticipate, and sometimes, it feels outright impossible. Yet, the value of our experiences, our degrees, and the effort we've put in doesn't vanish in the face of rejection. It's incredibly tough, I know, but each setback is a stepping stone towards our goal, even when it doesn't feel that way.

Your qualifications and experiences are amazing and demonstrate your dedication and capability. I'm genuinely sorry you're going through this, as I am too. Let's try to hold on to our dreams a little longer, and hopefully, our perseverance will pay off in the end.
Thank you so much for this message @bella98, I loved reading this and I think it will help so many people going through this difficult and tumultuous journey into the legal profession.

I applaud your resilience, your strength, your confidence and your successful academic career and I am sure that many law firms next application cycle will appreciate those too!

Never give up on your dream as if you work hard enough, despite the difficult circumstances, you will enjoy arriving at the finish line even more!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Has anyone who had a AC with White & Case from late Feb/early March heard back from them? Had mine on 29 February, not sure if I should email them now
I would email them as quite a long time has passed now! They are probably, and understandably, very busy so they might be a little late with responses, but I think you have been waiting for way too long at this point.

I would reach out to ask for an update, reiterating your interest in the firm which always help.

Reactions: lawstudent15

Madeline186

Mar 19, 2024
@Jessica Booker The deadline for a VI to be submitted is on the 7th. I've spent a lot of time preparing for the interview but its looking like the best day for me to complete it will be on the morning of the 7th due to work commitments. I don't want it to look like I have just forgotten about it and done it last minute, or that I am unorganised. Is this generally something they consider? I could complete it before but I won't have as much time and don't want to be rushed and damage my performance in the interview

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker The deadline for a VI to be submitted is on the 7th. I've spent a lot of time preparing for the interview but its looking like the best day for me to complete it will be on the morning of the 7th due to work commitments. I don't want it to look like I have just forgotten about it and done it last minute, or that I am unorganised. Is this generally something they consider? I could complete it before but I won't have as much time and don't want to be rushed and damage my performance in the interview
This is not an issue as long as it is completed by the deadline.

SS21

Distinguished Member
Oct 17, 2022
It might be worth asking to be honest. I personally did with a firm that did not offer direct training contract and they were willing to offer me an opportunity so it never hurts to just ask.

Exceptions are made and you will be surprise how often exceptions happen so asking should not be a problem, especially given your situation. I personally think that as long as you reiterate your interest and passion for the firm and highlight how you do not want your circumstances to affect whether you can join the firm or not.
Thanks so much for this - that’s super helpful and I’m glad it worked out for you!

Just to clarify, you’d recommend bringing this up only after being made a VS offer? And not at interview or AC stage?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey All,

I have some updates to share.

Unfortunately, after 8 beautiful months I am leaving TCLA and it really feels bittersweet. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the forum and connect with likeminded individuals who share my same dream in life to become a lawyer. I was moved, motivated, inspired and encouraged by the beautiful stories of resilience, confidence, strength and self-assuredness that I had the pleasure to read throughout these months on the forum. One of the most beautiful aspects of my job was being able to connect and relate to some many people that went through the same struggles I went through when I was applying to vacation schemes and training contracts. The process is extremely daunting and many feel lonely on their path to become lawyers and so being able to inspire and motivate people with just a post on a forum is the highlight of my year.

Since I got my training contract, I felt like the luckiest person in the world, despite the difficulties I had to face on my journey being an international student from an ethnic minority background. I felt like these two factors would have definitely limited my chances of achieving my dream of becoming a lawyer, but I did not let my fear stop me. This is the kind of feeling I was hoping to share whilst being on the forum. However, I ended up being the one inspired by your stories and I will always be grateful for people who are always transparent about their journeys and struggles, as achieving your goals is not an easy process.

I hope I was able to help people as much as I can and I will always be grateful to TCLA to have given me the chance to help many of my peers sharing my same dreams and goals.

If there is anything I want you to remember from all my posts and my personal journey is to never give up on your dreams, regardless of the thousandth rejections you will receive, the nos you will hear and the struggles you will face. It is never the end until you decide it is the end!

Thank you to everybody,

Best of luck to everyone and their journeys into the legal industry,

Axel

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.