TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

evianmineral

• Mar 12, 2024
    I've been advised this but a) isn't it slightly dishonest and b) I had a mate who did this and was asked about whether he'd had and accepted an offer from previous VS on his subsequent one and obviously he can't lie
    It's not dishonest. As long as you don't sign a contract and don't take any money from the original firm there's literally nothing wrong with accepting a subsequent offer from a different firm if you want to.

Also - why lie to the subsequent firm about an offer? Shows that you're of quality, desirable etc. I do understand that you'll feel like the subsequent firm will be questioning your commitment/desire to work there but the fact you're attending the VS shows that you may actually prefer the subsequent firm.

mp2000

Distinguished Member
    Jan 29, 2024
    It's not dishonest. As long as you don't sign a contract and don't take any money from the original firm there's literally nothing wrong with accepting a subsequent offer from a different firm if you want to.

Also - why lie to the subsequent firm about an offer? Shows that you're of quality, desirable etc. I do understand that you'll feel like the subsequent firm will be questioning your commitment/desire to work there but the fact you're attending the VS shows that you may actually prefer the subsequent firm.
    But what if you have signed a contract with one company and want to rescind....

LawyerInMaking

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 20, 2023
    Hi guys,
    Just wanted some advice on the following: I've recently received a TC offer off the back of a spring VS from a firm I really like, and the deadline for acceptance is May 31st. I also have a VS at another firm I like from June 3rd-7th. I would love the opportunity to spend time at both firms and make a decision from there, but am worried at what a firm's attitude towards me asking for an extension to acceptance would be (lack of commitment etc). Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do/how to word it? Should I just accept the offer I have given I really like the firm? Not sure if this is relevant but both TCs would be a sept 2025 s

Hi guys,
    Just wanted some advice on the following: I've recently received a TC offer off the back of a spring VS from a firm I really like, and the deadline for acceptance is May 31st. I also have a VS at another firm I like from June 3rd-7th. I would love the opportunity to spend time at both firms and make a decision from there, but am worried at what a firm's attitude towards me asking for an extension to acceptance would be (lack of commitment etc). Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do/how to word it? Should I just accept the offer I have given I really like the firm? Not sure if this is relevant but both TCs would be a sept 2025 start.
    Why not ask the first firm if they can extend the offer by a month or so ?

• âś…
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

evianmineral

• Mar 12, 2024
    But what if you have signed a contract with one company and want to rescind....
    I'm unsure to be honest and I think it'd depend on the contract, someone who has more knowledge of this area may be able to help e.g. Jessica Booker.

However as a general rule you should be able to rescind but depends on the specific circumstance.

But generally I would not go around signing contracts I did not intend to fulfil.

mp2000

Distinguished Member
    Jan 29, 2024
    I'm unsure to be honest and I think it'd depend on the contract, someone who has more knowledge of this area may be able to help e.g. Jessica Booker.

However as a general rule you should be able to rescind but depends on the specific circumstance.

But generally I would not go around signing contracts I did not intend to fulfil.

Yes, Jessica has advised me on this. Just seeing if there are any others with similar experiences. I certainly didn't sign a contract knowing I would not be able to fulfil it - people's circumstances can change and much better opportunities often arise.

jenniferrrrrrr

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2023
    Hi guys,
    Just wanted some advice on the following: I've recently received a TC offer off the back of a spring VS from a firm I really like, and the deadline for acceptance is May 31st. I also have a VS at another firm I like from June 3rd-7th. I would love the opportunity to spend time at both firms and make a decision from there, but am worried at what a firm's attitude towards me asking for an extension to acceptance would be (lack of commitment etc). Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do/how to word it? Should I just accept the offer I have given I really like the firm? Not sure if this is relevant but both TCs would be a sept 2025 start.
    I know that most firms do not allow people who signed a TC to participate on their VS - better check if the June firm allows that before signing with the first firm.

• âś…
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

evianmineral

• Mar 12, 2024
    Yes, Jessica has advised me on this. Just seeing if there are any others with similar experiences. I certainly didn't sign a contract knowing I would not be able to fulfil it - people's circumstances can change and much better opportunities often arise.
    Of course but generally, the point of signing a contract is to stop you from accepting better opportunities.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've been advised this but a) isn't it slightly dishonest and b) I had a mate who did this and was asked about whether he'd had and accepted an offer from previous VS on his subsequent one and obviously he can't lie
    It's only going to be dishonest if either of your employment contracts state you cannot do the vacation scheme if you have accepted the TC offer.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.