• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

Is the freshfields application

structured differently than last year? I think I remember there being a capfinity test that included video interviews. Or do you mean that stage two is the AC?
I think it might be different than last year? I'm not sure though! But it seems like there is a stage 2 test that is called that and includes VI, which is conditional on passing stage 1 (which is the general SJT/Critical reasoning test) - was just curious to know what qualities might be limiting for getting forward to stage 2 if anyone did receive an invitation to that stage
 
Anyone who got Freshfields stage 2 invitation, how did your stage 1 assessment feedback report look like? Any particular weaknesses or strengths?
I had in strengths thriving under pressure, embracing transformation, and championing clients. In weaknesses - challenging myself and delivering extraordinary outcomes. But ultimately, I think all the 11 competencies are weighted equally, and it's about your overall score. So, even your 'weaknesses' might actually be really high scores if you did well overall.
 
Having researched Winston Taylor, identify one specific aspect of our work, culture, or approach that sets us apart from other firms and explain, with reference to your own values or career ambitions, why this resonates with you.
Max 500 words

@Antoni Trochimowicz how would you recommend structuring this answer given the word count is 500 words.
Hi! I think this is quite a generous word count, honestly maybe a little too much so.

I would probably do something along the lines:
  • Paragraph 1:
    • Explanation of the aspect you picked
    • This would likely be around 70-120 words
    • You would include what it is, a piece of evidence (whether anecdotal or a plain fact) and its overall place in the firm
  • Paragraph 2,3, 4
    • Then the rest of the paragraphs would follow a clear, similar format.
      • A point about your values/aspirations:
        • This resonates with me because I am x
      • This is then followed by some evidence of that value, most likely through an anecdote
      • Then, you can link that back to the original firm point.
    • I would repeat this 2-3 times depending on word count.

Hopefully this helps :)
 
i've done 4 VS last cycle, didn't convert unforuatntely, should i apply to vac schemes or just direct tc? thank you!
Hi! This is honestly personal preference. If a firm hires adequately from DTC, there is no harm in applying in that route. That is usually recommended for those with experience (which you have). Wishing you the best of luck!
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for HLC WVS first stage assessment?
Hey! I just did it and passed - it wasn't too bad at all, and I didn't prepare much. What I did was write down a list of all the skills HLC are looking for on a note and then reflected on them throughout the test.

Make sure you have a notepad and pen as there was some light maths involved in some of the critical thinking questions! It's really not that bad and is just standard critical thinking test and proofreading.

Good luck!
 
I have got to the video interview stage of Latham's open day (I did not realise there would be so many stages for an open day!) Are the video interview questions open-day specific (i.e., not the same questions as the vac scheme), as I'm worried that if I don't get the open day, I won't be eligible for the vac scheme? Also, if I do get the open day, would I be fast-tracked to the assessment centre?
 
Hi, I was looking at the Paul Hastings questions and I'm not sure how to approach them since they appear quite similar to me. They are
Why do you wish to complete a work placement with us?

What has attracted you to Paul Hastings?
Both these questions seem to be asking 'why this firm', so how would you differentiate your answer between the two questions? Thanks!
Hey, I definitely see where you're coming from! The questions are indeed very similar. The first thing I would say is potentially whether there is anything unique about the way they structure the vacation scheme, albeit this is quite unlikely.

The angle I would probably take is curiosity. What I mean by that is using the first question to showcase your interest in something about the firm, something you would want to learn more about that, why that is, and what you would do on the vacation scheme to do so.

Then, I would use the second question as the standard why firm.

However, I'm sure there's many ways to do this, this just came to my mind first. I never personally applied to Paul Hastings.

Hopefully that helped :)!
 
Hello @Antoni Trochimowicz

Hope you're well :)

I'm just wondering if in the application questions itself, I mention a specific personal experience but only very briefly; can I mention the same thing again in the work experience section, but providing more substantive content and detail? Or will it seem repetitive?

Thank you
Thank you and likewise! You absolutely can, that's exactly the approach I was taking :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: flower1
I have got to the video interview stage of Latham's open day (I did not realise there would be so many stages for an open day!) Are the video interview questions open-day specific (i.e., not the same questions as the vac scheme), as I'm worried that if I don't get the open day, I won't be eligible for the vac scheme? Also, if I do get the open day, would I be fast-tracked to the assessment centre?
The video interview questions for the open day are the same as for the vacation scheme questions. And it's a separate application so even if you don't get the open day you can still apply for the vacation scheme. If you attend an open day you don't have to do the online assessment again when you're applying for the vacation scheme
 
  • Like
Reactions: rose06
In the work experience section is there any rule of thumb as to how many work experiences to put? Also, what is the best practice for the descriptions. Allhires usually allows 250 words - should we use it for CV-like bullet points, or is that an indication that the firms are looking for a mini-essay?
Hi!

Firstly, I don't think there is a 'rule of thumb' as it really depends on what stage you're on (work/life-wise). However, I personally had 9 work experiences (incl. one for merged open days etc.). I did sometimes overthink that maybe this was too much to include, but I progressed with all firms to the next stage (where I submitted 9 entries of 250 words -- was much weaker with 150 word firms, but maybe that's a coincidence).

In regards to your other questions, I would always strongly recommend written prose. As such, it would be much closer to mini essays than bulletpoints.

Hopefully that was helpful!
 
Question for the forum: In a 2-minute VI question where the firm is asking, 'Why this firm + skills I think are important for trainees, ' do I need to delve into 'Why commercial law?' at all?

Given this is a lengthy question with a 2-minute time limit, I don't suppose I will have time to discuss it; however, since I am a career-changer, is it important that they know my answer to it?

I suppose if I choose to answer only what the question asks, I can delve into my reasons for pursuing commercial law later in the interview stages?

@Antoni Trochimowicz would appreciate any support!
Hi! Especially given how much you're expected to cover in that question, I definitely wouldn't delve into commercial law. I'm sure you will be asked about it further either in another VI or at a person-to-person interview.
 
Hi, I've got an upcoming assessment centre at a firm and they said there'll be a test with various hypothetical questions. Any tips on how I can best prepare? There is no further information given. Any advice would be greatly appreciated please, thank you.
Hi, is there any information as whether this test is written or verbal or anything? Unfortunately I really can't think of any advice as that is honestly very unusual. Maybe if you mention the firm, somebody else would be able to give their insights!
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member