Hey
@Antoni Trochimowicz two quick questions 1) Im applying for Sullcrom, however, their website doesn't express a word limit for the cover letter. Thus, would 1 page be sufficient? Since you did an ac there, could you also provide some tips?
2) Would you be cognisant of any newsletter or website that publishes daily reports on the UK's macroeconomic trends, similar to FT's Spotify?
Thanking you in anticipation !
Hi Cristiano! Sadly, Antoni is no longer helping us as our community assistant (he is focusing on his product lead role). I know this is frustrating as he has experience with the SullCrom AC. Unfortunately, I did not personally apply there so I can't help much - so sorry!
However,
1) Re cover letter, I found a previous thread where another user said:
'Directly from Kirsten Davies (Recruitment Manager at S&C): "Candidates should write a punchy letter of motivation, no more than one side of A4"'. This sounds standard, so I think 1 page should be good. If possible, I would write to their Grad Rec and check though, as this is dated (from 2022):
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2022-23.5995/post-124272.
Re AC - as mentioned, I am not the best person to give tips on SullCrom. But I heard from friends that their AC is very conversational. Candidates have had experience being asked in-depth about work experience entries etc., so I would definitely recommend being ready for that. I found it helpful to put my application form into a data-protected AI, prompt it to ask me questions based on my written answers, speak into the mic using the voice-to-text function, and simulate an AC-style conversation. If you don't have this option, you could always ask a friend to think of questions for you instead!
2) Podcasts
- My personal favourite is the FT 'Daily News Briefing' (I think this might be what you're referring to).
- PwC's 'Economics in Business' focuses on 'the outlook for the UK and global economy' and its 'implications for businesses' with short 5 - 10 min episodes.
- I have also heard good things about the BBC's 'Follow the Money' and 'Wake up to Money' podcasts, though they are on the lengthier side (20 - 50 mins) and not always UK-centred.
Newsletters
- The Guardian's 'Business Today' is more UK-focused.
- The 'Non-Billable' focuses on legal news, but after the legal news section, it has a short couple of paragraphs summarising recent business and finance developments.
Before an AC, I also find it helpful to Google:
- Recent interest rate decisions in the UK, US, and EU? Was this a raise, cut, or hold? Where are they projected to be in a few months' time / next meeting?
- Inflation rates in the UK, US, and EU? Energy prices? Oil and gas prices?
- Exchange rate fluctuations (pound vs dollar vs euro)?
- How are the bond and stock markets performing (NASDAQ, S&P 500, FTSE 100, UK gilts, US treasury bonds, etc.)?
- GDP growth and unemployment rates
- Any upcoming budget news