TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

On vantage applications, when asked if you're preparing for PGDL / SQE should you say no if doing them next year depends on a tc this year?
Hi! I would recommend asking Grad Rec, just to be sure.

From my experience, it seemed that these questions were mainly to gauge your stage (if you were preparing for SQE, your interviewers etc. might expect you to have slightly more legal knowledge) and clarify funding arrangements, start year, etc. So I personally would not say I'm preparing for PGDL / SQE unless I was relatively committed to the exam, actively going through content, and ready to sit it the coming year :)
 
How do you answer a 'why this firm over another' question?
Hi! I would ask myself:

1) How are these two firms different? Size (by headcount? trainee cohort)? Practice areas / sectors offered? Type of clients they work with? Global footprint? Culture? Approach to training? Approach to AI / legal tech?

2) Why is this important to me?

It's a little tricky, as the answers will depend on the firms in question, and your own personal priorities! But I hope that helps :) best of luck!
 
Hi guys! I am attending the Bird&Bird open day and was working on my application for the vac scheme when i came across this q: "Please list any events you have attended or interactions you have had with Bird & Bird before submitting this application. Please include only the name of the event (or interaction) and the date." I haven't yet had any interactions with the firm but i was wondering could i put the open day in it but just clarify my future attendance?
Hi! I think your instincts sound right - we talked about this briefly here, in case it is helpful :)

Sorry, I'm not too sure on B&B as I don't have experience with them!

Maybe try adding it on their form and see if it allows you to enter dates in advance? Also, definitely write a note bringing it to their attention (in brackets, add (event has not yet occurred, but I received an offer to attend on x date) or something like that) or you can enter this in any further information boxes.

If the form doesn't let you do that or if you are unsure, I would recommend asking their Grad Rec :)
 

Find member