Time Period to Accept TC Offers

rwb

• Nov 15, 2020
    I was looking at the Slaughter and May website today and they state that you have one month to accept a TC offer.

Now I'm wondering what the traditional practice for City firms is for how long they give you to accept their offer. I want to submit my rolling TC applications in a way which maximises having as many options to choose from as possible.

Anybody know how much time the top London firms give you to accept a TC offer? Is one month the standard practice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was looking at the Slaughter and May website today and they state that you have one month to accept a TC offer.

Now I'm wondering what the traditional practice for City firms is for how long they give you to accept their offer. I want to submit my rolling TC applications in a way which maximises having as many options to choose from as possible.

Anybody know how much time the top London firms give you to accept a TC offer? Is one month the standard practice?

Standard is 4 weeks to accept although some firms will push you into deciding earlier than that.

Nothing stopping you accepting and then reneging at a later point though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What are the consequences of reneging? Will other firms refuse to interview candidates who have accepted a TC?

There aren’t any consequences unless you have received some form of financial support from the firm in question, and then it’s just a case of paying it back, at worst with interest.

How would they know if you have accepted a TC unless you told them/it was in the public domain?

Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    I’ve definitely heard of outliers. I remember one firm mentioning that the offers they give out after their winter schemes are open until the summer because they want their candidates to be able to undertake schemes with other firms to be sure of their commitment.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’ve definitely heard of outliers. I remember one firm mentioning that the offers they give out after their winter schemes are open until the summer because they want their candidates to be able to undertake schemes with other firms to be sure of their commitment.

Some firms will keep offers open until mid September for penultimate year undergrads as per the “code of recruitment practice” tends to only be the penultimate years though as they typically need to sign the finalists/grads up to law school, which is why they get 4 weeks (like the code says too).

Reactions: Manifesting

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.