Tips / what are online open days like?

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
I am attending an online open day next week at a law firm I really like. But I am unsure what to expect, how to prepare, and what it involves overall?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
The ones I have been to have had exactly the same sort of structure to in-person ones - you get to meet trainees, listen to grad partner speech/intro/ whatever it is, maybe do a mock case study in a breakout room and have like two breaks for tea.

I'd say just prepare as you normally would for an in-person open day. Research the firm and its main practice areas, any recent work they've been doing, what the TC is like etc. etc.

Edit: Also make sure you look alive and energised throughout the day! and try to find a neutral background as your camera will be on :D

Last edited:

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
The ones I have been to have had exactly the same sort of structure to in-person ones - you get to meet trainees, listen to grad partner speech/intro/ whatever it is, maybe do a mock case study in a breakout room and have like two breaks for tea.

I'd say just prepare as you normally would for an in-person open day. Research the firm and its main practice areas, any recent work they've been doing, what the TC is like etc. etc.

Edit: Also make sure you look alive and energised throughout the day! and try to find a neutral background as your camera will be on :D

thanks!! im actually dreading having my camera on haha, thought it would just be a chatroom sitch
few questions
- how do you meet trainees? do they put you in breakout rooms with like 1 trainee and a few students, or do you just speak whenever in the main call?
- what did most people wear?
-do you know if these case studies are assessed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thanks!! im actually dreading having my camera on haha, thought it would just be a chatroom sitch
few questions
- how do you meet trainees? do they put you in breakout rooms with like 1 trainee and a few students, or do you just speak whenever in the main call?

I’d try not to over think this.

just go in with a willingness to learn more about the firm.

Reactions: gg332dd and Lawbour

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
few questions

Like Jessica has said you really shouldn't overthink these things! Just go in and be yourself.

To put your mind at ease
-there'll probably be a fair few number of people in the open day who will have all their cameras on too so it's not too awkward haha
- yes that is how you would meet trainees
- just dress smart like you would in a normal open day
-nope those case studies aren't assessed, they're just a way for you to have some practise.

Good luck! Trust me you will be fine :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.