Training Contracts for Beginners

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018
Hey guys!

I've done the BPTC and my CV so far has everything Bar related i.e. debating experience, mooting experience, Inns of Court scholarships and mini-pupillages.

I am now considering applying for a TC for various reasons, but I'm not too sure where to start. I have a couple of questions, and was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share some guidance/their experience:
  1. how did you decide on which firms to apply to?
  2. what factors in particular would you advise I should consider when choosing a firm?
  3. I understand that with TC applications it's better to focus on a few rather than many (with the Bar, the more applications the better). Please correct me if I'm wrong.If so, how many applications are advisable?
  4. How do you stay commercially aware?
  5. Would you happen to know of anyone who has done the BPTC and then switched routes? If so, did they have to do the LPC?
  6. Given my background – do you feel I would have a hard time justifying to law firms why I switched routes? If so, would you have any advice on how I should approach the TC?
  7. Would you happen to know whether firms do video interviews for TC or whether attending AC's is compulsory – I’ve just started a new job and I can’t personally afford to fly back for interviews.
  8. When adding in the sections for work experience, how many would you recommend?
  9. Any other general advice you may have and how I can build myself up so I can land a TC.

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey guys!

I've done the BPTC and my CV so far has everything Bar related i.e. debating experience, mooting experience, Inns of Court scholarships and mini-pupillages.

I am now considering applying for a TC for various reasons, but I'm not too sure where to start. I have a couple of questions, and was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share some guidance/their experience:
    2. what factors in particular would you advise I should consider when choosing a firm?
    3. I understand that with TC applications it's better to focus on a few rather than many (with the Bar, the more applications the better). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    5. Would you happen to know of anyone who has done the BPTC and then switched routes? If so, did they have to do the LPC?
    6. Given my background – do you feel I would have a hard time justifying to law firms why I switched routes?
    7. Would you happen to know whether firms do video interviews for TC or whether attending AC's is compulsory – I’ve just started a new job and I can’t personally afford to fly back for interviews.
    8. Any other general advice you may have and how I can build myself up so I can land a TC.
    Regarding 7. law firms pay for your travel expenses to and from an AC - my flights from Madrid are being paid for by Macfarlanes for instance! Normally they say anything upwards of £150 but if you often explain your individual circumstances they can be quite accommodating!

Zahra

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 9, 2018
    Regarding 7. law firms pay for your travel expenses to and from an AC - my flights from Madrid are being paid for by Macfarlanes for instance! Normally they say anything upwards of £150 but if you often explain your individual circumstances they can be quite accommodating!

That's great to hear - thank you so much for your response!

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2018
    In all honesty, I would suggest that you go through the forums of TCLA...Because all of your questions have been answered in great detail by some of the leading students on this forum.

Go through the application forum and general discussion!

To find out what practice area you really like - you would have to attend open days they are the best way to find out what work a firm a does -

Normally how many application one does is entirely a personal preference- somebody I know is making 12-15 applications mainly because they are not in education anymore whereas because I have uni assignments and other commitments, I am more selective so I am doing 4/5.

Use websites such as Chambers Student and LawCareersNet ! If you are eligible check out Strive organisation - SEO London Organisation - Rare Recruitment - all these organisations help students turn into corporate lawyers

Hope this helps and all the best for your applications.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys!

3. I understand that with TC applications it's better to focus on a few rather than many (with the Bar, the more applications the better). Please correct me if I'm wrong.If so, how many applications are advisable?
    6. Given my background – do you feel I would have a hard time justifying to law firms why I switched routes? If so, would you have any advice on how I should approach the TC?
    8. When adding in the sections for work experience, how many would you recommend?
    9. Any other general advice you may have and how I can build myself up so I can land a TC.

Hi Zahra - to add to what the others have said already -

1. How did you decide on which firms to apply to?
    When I began the process, law firms appeared very much alike. It was only after I spent more time applying/interviewing/vacation scheming that I had a better idea of how law firms were different and what kind of firm I wanted to work at. About halfway through the process I decided I wanted a US firm, partly because I wanted a smaller trainee intake. I also liked what I perceived to be a more entrepreneurial culture/training style.

2. What factors in particular would you advise I should consider when choosing a firm?

Some ideas:
    • How big do you want your firm to be (both in terms of trainee intake and office size)?
    • Do you want to go on international secondment? How extensive do you want these to be?
    • How international do you want the work to be? Would you like emerging market work?
    • Are there any particular practice areas you are interested in?
    • What kind of training style are you looking for - formal/structured or informal? Do you even want seats? Do you want to work in an open plan layout or offices?
    • Do you want a full service firm or a more boutique firm? Or something in between?
    • What kind of hours do you want? Do you want to be leaving at 5:30pm on the dot? Does the idea of working late nights and possibly weekends bother you?
    • Do you want a firm that's big on pro bono?
    • How formal do you want the culture to be?
    • What kind of salary are you looking for? How about at NQ level?

As many good applications as you can write. You want to be writing applications of a high quality but you also want to maximise your chances of applying to many firms.

I'd recommend the following threads:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....resources-collated-list-of-pros-and-cons.593/
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....awareness-recommended-reading-start-here.697/
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/commercial-awareness-update-november-2018.798/ (keep an eye on this one)

Let me know if anything isn't covered by those threads.

I'm afraid I don't know about this.

I don't think so, no. You will certainly need to come up with a clear explanation and be prepared to answer follow up questions on the subject but that's to be expected. My advice is to be honest (the stuff you told me before is fine).

I imagine you will need to but expenses will be covered by many firms.

As many as you have.

Bearing in mind grades/experiences are usually fixed at this point I would suggest you learn about how to write good applications as these make a substantial difference. I don't know how good your commercial awareness is already but I'd suggest following the business news and developing a basic understanding of business and finance. I can expand on this if needed.

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    @Zahra just to plug the final gap to question 5 and the detailed comments from @Jaysen, the LPC is split into 2 stages. Stage 1 is Core Practice areas and skills with Stage 2 being the vocational electives (I.e Finance, Family, etc).

The SRA will grant exemptions from parts of the LPC or even all of the LPC on a case by case basis. Essentially, does what you covered on the BPTC meet the 2 stages of LPC requirements. I don’t know enough about the BPTC to be able to comment, but’s it’s certainly possible. There is a lengthy process around this to apply for SRA exemptions. Depending on provider, I would imagine it’s possible to get exemptions or even do a fast track LPC to cover anything missing. However, I would note, a firm that offers you a TC may not want you to exempt yourself from the LPC. Therefore, it might be worth raising with the relevant firm at the appropriate time or with some from HR at an event for informal guidance from a recruiters perspective.

Reactions: Jaysen

Zahra

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 9, 2018
    @Zahra just to plug the final gap to question 5 and the detailed comments from @Jaysen, the LPC is split into 2 stages. Stage 1 is Core Practice areas and skills with Stage 2 being the vocational electives (I.e Finance, Family, etc).

The SRA will grant exemptions from parts of the LPC or even all of the LPC on a case by case basis. Essentially, does what you covered on the BPTC meet the 2 stages of LPC requirements. I don’t know enough about the BPTC to be able to comment, but’s it’s certainly possible. There is a lengthy process around this to apply for SRA exemptions. Depending on provider, I would imagine it’s possible to get exemptions or even do a fast track LPC to cover anything missing. However, I would note, a firm that offers you a TC may not want you to exempt yourself from the LPC. Therefore, it might be worth raising with the relevant firm at the appropriate time or with some from HR at an event for informal guidance from a recruiters perspective.
    Hi Zahra - to add to what the others have said already -

1. How did you decide on which firms to apply to?
    When I began the process, law firms appeared very much alike. It was only after I spent more time applying/interviewing/vacation scheming that I had a better idea of how law firms were different and what kind of firm I wanted to work at. About halfway through the process I decided I wanted a US firm, partly because I wanted a smaller trainee intake. I also liked what I perceived to be a more entrepreneurial culture/training style.

2. What factors in particular would you advise I should consider when choosing a firm?

Some ideas:
    • How big do you want your firm to be (both in terms of trainee intake and office size)?
    • Do you want to go on international secondment? How extensive do you want these to be?
    • How international do you want the work to be? Would you like emerging market work?
    • Are there any particular practice areas you are interested in?
    • What kind of training style are you looking for - formal/structured or informal? Do you even want seats? Do you want to work in an open plan layout or offices?
    • Do you want a full service firm or a more boutique firm? Or something in between?
    • What kind of hours do you want? Do you want to be leaving at 5:30pm on the dot? Does the idea of working late nights and possibly weekends bother you?
    • Do you want a firm that's big on pro bono?
    • How formal do you want the culture to be?
    • What kind of salary are you looking for? How about at NQ level?

As many good applications as you can write. You want to be writing applications of a high quality but you also want to maximise your chances of applying to many firms.

I'd recommend the following threads:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....resources-collated-list-of-pros-and-cons.593/
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....awareness-recommended-reading-start-here.697/
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/commercial-awareness-update-november-2018.798/ (keep an eye on this one)

Let me know if anything isn't covered by those threads.

I'm afraid I don't know about this.

I don't think so, no. You will certainly need to come up with a clear explanation and be prepared to answer follow up questions on the subject but that's to be expected. My advice is to be honest (the stuff you told me before is fine).

I imagine you will need to but expenses will be covered by many firms.

As many as you have.

Bearing in mind grades/experiences are usually fixed at this point I would suggest you learn about how to write good applications as these make a substantial difference. I don't know how good your commercial awareness is already but I'd suggest following the business news and developing a basic understanding of business and finance. I can expand on this if needed.
    In all honesty, I would suggest that you go through the forums of TCLA...Because all of your questions have been answered in great detail by some of the leading students on this forum.

Go through the application forum and general discussion!

To find out what practice area you really like - you would have to attend open days they are the best way to find out what work a firm a does -

Normally how many application one does is entirely a personal preference- somebody I know is making 12-15 applications mainly because they are not in education anymore whereas because I have uni assignments and other commitments, I am more selective so I am doing 4/5.

Use websites such as Chambers Student and LawCareersNet ! If you are eligible check out Strive organisation - SEO London Organisation - Rare Recruitment - all these organisations help students turn into corporate lawyers

Hope this helps and all the best for your applications.

Jaysen, AJ and Jai C, my gratitude is infinite. All this is so helpful and gives me a lot of clarity. Will take all this advice into consideration :)

And Jai C, all the best with your applications :D

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
    • Attend open days, networking events and dinners to understand the firm's culture and practice before you consider applying.
    • Follow the firm's social media to learn about more other initiatives they host for students.
    I choose firms based on international reach and my interest in sectors where the firm operates.
    • Useful factors to consider are: client base, geographical presence, practice area strengths, secondment opportunities, the size of a trainee intake.
    • Do not apply to more than 12-15 law firms in an application cycle. Make sure that you have a clear strategy about how firms you're applying too and why.
    • Make sure you are aware of which firms recruit on a rolling basis. Even if the firm that you apply to doesn't recruit on a rolling basis, ensure that you apply ahead of the deadline
    • Batch your applications into groups, don't send off all 12 applications at once. Send 3 first, monitor your progress, if you don't make it to the online test stage then perhaps you need to improve your written application. If you can't clear the tests, then maybe you need more practice.
    3. How do you stay commercially aware?
    • Start with following trends within sectors that have a genuine interest. You don't have to start with the Greek debt crisis if that isn't something that interests you.
    • The FT, Economist, Bloomberg and Guardian are all great sources.
    • Podcasts are a great way to stay on top of current affairs. Many law firms host podcasts themselves (Freshfields, NRF, Morgan Lewis)
    • Schedule time every week to keep abreast of trends. It takes time and deliberate practice to become commercially aware

4. Would you happen to know of anyone who has done the BPTC and then switched routes? If so, did they have to do the LPC?

• The best thing for you to do here is to be honest about what has motivated you to make the shift. Perhaps you realised a career as a barrister didn't offer the clear path to progression or client base that you were hoping to work with? Whatever your answer might be, make sure you articulate this clearly in the 'why law' section if the application form has one.
    • Not a lot of firms do video interviews for the entire assessment process but they may be willing to make an exception and host part of the process virtually for you. This varies for each firm. I would recommend emailing graduate recruitment and asking them about this.
    • There is no magic number. The key is relevancy. Don't include anything older than 3 years unless its extremely significant or you've held that job/position for a while and its driven you towards a career in law.

Zahra

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 9, 2018
    • Attend open days, networking events and dinners to understand the firm's culture and practice before you consider applying.
    • Follow the firm's social media to learn about more other initiatives they host for students.
    I choose firms based on international reach and my interest in sectors where the firm operates.

• Useful factors to consider are: client base, geographical presence, practice area strengths, secondment opportunities, the size of a trainee intake.
    • Do not apply to more than 12-15 law firms in an application cycle. Make sure that you have a clear strategy about how firms you're applying too and why.
    • Make sure you are aware of which firms recruit on a rolling basis. Even if the firm that you apply to doesn't recruit on a rolling basis, ensure that you apply ahead of the deadline
    • Batch your applications into groups, don't send off all 12 applications at once. Send 3 first, monitor your progress, if you don't make it to the online test stage then perhaps you need to improve your written application. If you can't clear the tests, then maybe you need more practice.
    3. How do you stay commercially aware?
    • Start with following trends within sectors that have a genuine interest. You don't have to start with the Greek debt crisis if that isn't something that interests you.
    • The FT, Economist, Bloomberg and Guardian are all great sources.
    • Podcasts are a great way to stay on top of current affairs. Many law firms host podcasts themselves (Freshfields, NRF, Morgan Lewis)
    • Schedule time every week to keep abreast of trends. It takes time and deliberate practice to become commercially aware

4. Would you happen to know of anyone who has done the BPTC and then switched routes? If so, did they have to do the LPC?

• The best thing for you to do here is to be honest about what has motivated you to make the shift. Perhaps you realised a career as a barrister didn't offer the clear path to progression or client base that you were hoping to work with? Whatever your answer might be, make sure you articulate this clearly in the 'why law' section if the application form has one.
    • Not a lot of firms do video interviews for the entire assessment process but they may be willing to make an exception and host part of the process virtually for you. This varies for each firm. I would recommend emailing graduate recruitment and asking them about this.
    • There is no magic number. The key is relevancy. Don't include anything older than 3 years unless its extremely significant or you've held that job/position for a while and its driven you towards a career in law.
    Thank you so so much! Very useful info :)

Shane

Distinguished Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick question.

I am an Irish Law student and am averaging a first over my first two years of Uni. However I have gotten a 2:2 in both a criminal module and my first ever constitutional law module. In Ireland we take six modules a semester, so I essentially recieved 2:1s and 1:1s in my other 22 modules to date. I was thinking of applying to Slaughter and May, but don't want to waste valuable time if they are going to immediately reject me on this basis. Does anyone know how strict the firm are regarding individual module grades. Is it worth applying ?

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick question.

I am an Irish Law student and am averaging a first over my first two years of Uni. However I have gotten a 2:2 in both a criminal module and my first ever constitutional law module. In Ireland we take six modules a semester, so I essentially recieved 2:1s and 1:1s in my other 22 modules to date. I was thinking of applying to Slaughter and May, but don't want to waste valuable time if they are going to immediately reject me on this basis. Does anyone know how strict the firm are regarding individual module grades. Is it worth applying ?

Go for it. Don’t let grades put you off. Yes slaughter are tough on grades but you seem to have good grades. And think about it this way, most other people take four modules during undergrad. You’ve taken six! The 2:2s are also in “minor” subjecs which shouldn’t matter for city law

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick question.

I would say go for it too! I had a friend with 2:2s in Contract and Tort, with a high 2:1 overall, who secured a TC interview with Slaughter and May last year.

Last edited:

Shane

Distinguished Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    Great to hear, thank you very much for your advice. I'll definitely give it a shot.

On a separate note.

When firm's are recruiting on a rolling basis, when is the latest that you should be applying to make sure that there are still spots left. I'm only starting my summer vac scheme applications now and I am wondering if I am just better of focusing on the non-rolling firms. Is two weeks before the deadline too late do you think ?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Great to hear, thank you very much for your advice. I'll definitely give it a shot.

On a separate note.

When firms are recruiting on a rolling basis, when is the latest that you should be applying to make sure that there are still spots left? I'm only starting my summer vac scheme applications now and I am wondering if I am just better of focusing on the non-rolling firms. Is two weeks before the deadline too late do you think?

No, I'd definitely still apply to the rolling ones first as they will still have spots left in 99% of cases as the majority of applications come in mid-to-end of December time!

datguyak

Esteemed Member
    Nov 20, 2018
    hey just wondering, when applying to a firm, (in this case it's HSF) if I am more interested in say dispute resolution, does it matter if I don't mention their Corporate work (which they are also very strong in) in my application about why I want to work for them or should I find a way to include both.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    hey just wondering, when applying to a firm, (in this case it's HSF) if I am more interested in say dispute resolution, does it matter if I don't mention their Corporate work (which they are also very strong in) in my application about why I want to work for them or should I find a way to include both.

Nope that's fine. It would only be a problem if you said you were only interested in disputes work.

Marco Mendola

Jan 8, 2019
    Good morning everyone!
    I need your opinion guys. A bit of background: I am a mature candidate with years of experience in another jurisdiction and a couple of years of experience in the UK with legal support roles. My goal is to get a training contract offer in the South West (Bristol Area). Do you think I should still apply for vacation schemes or probably directly to Training Contract applications?
    Generally, I understand that vacation scheme candidates are more successful, but could you please share your experience with my case?
    Many thanks,
    Marco

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Good morning everyone!
    I need your opinion guys. A bit of background: I am a mature candidate with years of experience in another jurisdiction and a couple of years of experience in the UK with legal support roles. My goal is to get a training contract offer in the South West (Bristol Area). Do you think I should still apply for vacation schemes or probably directly to Training Contract applications?
    Generally, I understand that vacation scheme candidates are more successful, but could you please share your experience with my case?
    Many thanks,
    Marco

What type of work were you doing in the other jurisdiction?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.