Travers Smith Application - Bullet points?

anon32323232

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hi team - having a bit of doubt re my Travers Application. So Travers only ask for a cover letter and some 'cv' based stuff, namely:
'Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.'
'Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere'
I was wondering how I should write my answers to these, since there is no word limit? Do Grad recruitment want us to elaborate loads on the kinds of activities, or do they want succinct, CV-style stuff? Not really sure how long/short I should be making these...

AlRJ

Esteemed Member
Jun 23, 2019
Hi team - having a bit of doubt re my Travers Application. So Travers only ask for a cover letter and some 'cv' based stuff, namely:
'Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.'
'Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere'
I was wondering how I should write my answers to these, since there is no word limit? Do Grad recruitment want us to elaborate loads on the kinds of activities, or do they want succinct, CV-style stuff? Not really sure how long/short I should be making these...

Hi there

On their website it states: "Our application process is very straightforward – a CV accompanied by a short covering letter". I would therefore adopt the CV-style approach as you can detail more about 'you' and your experiences in the CL.

I also recently listened to a graduate recruitment Q&A with the firm and they specifically said do not repeat anything in your CL and CV section, so make sure you have a variety of examples at hand.

Hope that helps!

anon32323232

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hi there

On their website it states: "Our application process is very straightforward – a CV accompanied by a short covering letter". I would therefore adopt the CV-style approach as you can detail more about 'you' and your experiences in the CL.

I also recently listened to a graduate recruitment Q&A with the firm and they specifically said do not repeat anything in your CL and CV section, so make sure you have a variety of examples at hand.

Hope that helps!
Brilliant - thanks so much!

Reactions: AlRJ

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
Sep 17, 2020
Hi Flora

My mentor at the firm asked Grad Rec last week and they said bullets or prose, it doesn't matter as people use both!
Great thank you!
Guys I realised I’ve made a massive mistake - I didn’t remove my name from the cover letter . I had removed it then added it back when I sent it to a friend and then forgot to remove it again! I have emailed Grad rec but am so upset and worried that this will be an outright Rejection . What do you guys think?

AlRJ

Esteemed Member
Jun 23, 2019
Great thank you!
Guys I realised I’ve made a massive mistake - I didn’t remove my name from the cover letter . I had removed it then added it back when I sent it to a friend and then forgot to remove it again! I have emailed Grad rec but am so upset and worried that this will be an outright Rejection . What do you guys think?

I honestly wouldn't worry too much as its minor in the grand scheme of things! I also didn't realise you had to remove your name from the CL?

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Great thank you!

Im pretty sure Grad Rec said that you don't need to remove your name at a career fair i attended. I also signed mine off with my name. I really wouldn't worry.

AnAspiringSolicitor

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 11, 2020
    Great thank you!
    Did you get a reply from grad rec in relation to having your name included in the letter?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.