Vacation scheme on a work visa

E.TX

Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I'm currently on a skilled worker visa. Would it be possible for me to take my annual leaves to go on the vacation scheme?

It's a bit niche but hoping someone would have the answer here.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In the vast majority of case, unfortunately not - your visa only allows you to work a second job for up to 20 hours a week that is in the same occupation code and at the same level as your main job.

The fact a summer vacation scheme will be full time and unlikely on the same job code as you are on now means this is highly unlikely.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
I can give an insight from a personal experience. I am on a skilled worker visa, and I managed to do a vacation scheme at Macfarlanes. They allowed me to do the vacation scheme, however, I had a specific schedule that does not exceed 20 hours/week (My current job is in the same field). I was lucky to have these conditions because their policy of assessing candidates was based only on the assessment day at the end of the vacation scheme, and not on your performance during the two weeks, otherwise I will have less time to show my skills.
I would suggest to ask GR teams in advance to see if they allow you to do the vacation scheme.
Hope this helps.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.