What are CV Blind firms? Is it a good option for people with poor grades?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, everyone. I hope you all are doing well. I was just browsing through the forum and reading about how it's best to apply to firms that have a CV Blind process if you have bad grades. Could anyone please list all the firms that recruit through this method? Or, is there any list of this sort on the forum? I could not find it but I'd be grateful if anyone could share any links.

Q2. Also, are there any general tips for applying if you have bad grades? Applying to CV blind firm is a strategy that I just did not know about so I'm assuming there are hopefully more secrets like this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Orla

Standard Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 22, 2021
Hello, everyone. I hope you all are doing well. I was just browsing through the forum and reading about how it's best to apply to firms that have a CV Blind process if you have bad grades. Could anyone please list all the firms that recruit through this method? Or, is there any list of this sort on the forum? I could not find it but I'd be grateful if anyone could share any links.

Q2. Also, are there any general tips for applying if you have bad grades? Applying to CV blind firm is a strategy that I just did not know about so I'm assuming there are hopefully more secrets like this.

Thanks in advance.
Hello! You can find a list of firms with CV blind interviews in this thread.

The firms mentioned are:
1. Clifford Chance
2. MacFarlanes
3. Mayer Brown
4. Ropes & Gray
5. RPC
6. Allen & Overy

In terms of general tips for applications with bad grades, it would depend on what you mean by bad grades, e.g. whether you have a few bad grades on your transcript vs a poor grade for your overall degree. Your circumstances would also be different if there were mitigating circumstances that you could make the firm aware of. You might find this thread useful - look out for @Jessica Booker's comments in particular.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello! You can find a list of firms with CV blind interviews in this thread.

The firms mentioned are:
1. Clifford Chance
2. MacFarlanes
3. Mayer Brown
4. Ropes & Gray
5. RPC
6. Allen & Overy

In terms of general tips for applications with bad grades, it would depend on what you mean by bad grades, e.g. whether you have a few bad grades on your transcript vs a poor grade for your overall degree. Your circumstances would also be different if there were mitigating circumstances that you could make the firm aware of. You might find this thread useful - look out for @Jessica Booker's comments in particular.

I hope this helps!
Thank you so much for the answer, Orla.

Reactions: Orla

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

Thanks in advance.
    Typically I would say that many of the firms listed above will effectively analyse your grades but hide what uni/school you went to. I graduated with a borderline 2.1 and ABB at A Level and I think you just need to shortlist which firms will genuinely consider your application regardless - e.g. A&O are extremely strict on their grade requirements although they claim to view your application holistically (grad rec told me this directly when they didn't bother reading my application even though I was a paralegal there lol)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Typically I would say that many of the firms listed above will effectively analyse your grades but hide what uni/school you went to. I graduated with a borderline 2.1 and ABB at A Level and I think you just need to shortlist which firms will genuinely consider your application regardless - e.g. A&O are extremely strict on their grade requirements although they claim to view your application holistically (grad rec told me this directly when they didn't bother reading my application even though I was a paralegal there lol)
    Thank you so much for the information. I wasn't really keen on applying to A&O anyway but after reading how strict they are academics-wise, I think I should focus on other firms.

Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The other thing to stress is that CV-blind interviews do not mean CV-blind recruitment processes. These are two different strategies.

A CV-blind recruitment process means you won't be assessed on what you have done, only how you perform against certain criteria. These application processes typically do not require you to disclose your academics or work experience but rely on how you write application answers. It is rarely seen in law but is particularly seen more so in the public sector roles.

A CV-blind interview is just your interviewers not knowing anything about you. Up until that point you are likely to be be assessed on what you have achieved to date alongside your application answers (e.g. the recruiter has effectively screened your CV/application) but at the point you are interviewed, your interviewers will not have any prior information about who you are/what you have achieved. However, the conversation (even the "where did you travel from today" before your interview has even started) is likely to highlight certain information and then judgements are made on where you have studied etc anyway.

In terms of bad grades, it also depends what grades you are talking about. If A-levels or equivalent, then just look for the firms that do not have a minimum A-level criteria. If it is more about your degree grades, then this is trickier - most firms are looking for a good 2.1 because your chance of passing the LPC (or now the SQE) is much higher. For instance, in the last round of SQE1 results people with a first were twice as likely to pass the SQE than someone with a 2.2. There are a few firms/organisations that do take on people with a 2.2, although they tend to be organisations that do not sponsor work permits (making it much more difficult for international students in this category).

1665581590355.png

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    The other thing to stress is that CV-blind interviews do not mean CV-blind recruitment processes. These are two different strategies.

A CV-blind recruitment process means you won't be assessed on what you have done, only how you perform against certain criteria. These application processes typically do not require you to disclose your academics or work experience but rely on how you write application answers. It is rarely seen in law but is particularly seen more so in the public sector roles.

A CV-blind interview is just your interviewers not knowing anything about you. Up until that point you are likely to be be assessed on what you have achieved to date alongside your application answers (e.g. the recruiter has effectively screened your CV/application) but at the point you are interviewed, your interviewers will not have any prior information about who you are/what you have achieved. However, the conversation (even the "where did you travel from today" before your interview has even started) is likely to highlight certain information and then judgements are made on where you have studied etc anyway.

In terms of bad grades, it also depends what grades you are talking about. If A-levels or equivalent, then just look for the firms that do not have a minimum A-level criteria. If it is more about your degree grades, then this is trickier - most firms are looking for a good 2.1 because your chance of passing the LPC (or now the SQE) is much higher. For instance, in the last round of SQE1 results people with a first were twice as likely to pass the SQE than someone with a 2.2. There are a few firms/organisations that do take on people with a 2.2, although they tend to be organisations that do not sponsor work permits (making it much more difficult for international students in this category).

View attachment 4453
    Thank you so much. I have to admit that I didn't know the difference between the two. This was very informative.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.