Why London?

Red

Premium Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hi guys!

How do you go about justifying why you want a commercial law career in London specifically?

I personally studied my law degree in London and loved living there, especially as someone with a diverse, mixed-race international background. While personal to me, I am conscious that it reads as being generic and applicable for a lot of candidates; additionally, I'm not sure if I should be focusing on the career prospects a city like London would provide?

Again, my reasons for wanting a City career would be wanting exposure to a global financial hub and work from multiple jurisdictions- isn't this also quite common or generic? The most unique reasoning I can come up with is writing a dissertation centered around legal repercussions following the LIBOR scandal, and how I've researched extensively on how London as a financial market could change following the introduction of SONIA? Is that too off-topic or something worth exploring?

Would appreciate any advice!

• 📥
Reactions: Jaysen and NadineBusty

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi guys!

How do you go about justifying why you want a commercial law career in London specifically?

I personally studied my law degree in London and loved living there, especially as someone with a diverse, mixed-race international background. While personal to me, I am conscious that it reads as being generic and applicable for a lot of candidates; additionally, I'm not sure if I should be focusing on the career prospects a city like London would provide?

Again, my reasons for wanting a City career would be wanting exposure to a global financial hub and work from multiple jurisdictions- isn't this also quite common or generic? The most unique reasoning I can come up with is writing a dissertation centered around legal repercussions following the LIBOR scandal, and how I've researched extensively on how London as a financial market could change following the introduction of SONIA? Is that too off-topic or something worth exploring?

You could draw on that research, and your experience in London. You could also say you're drawn to the higher level work that is typically in London. Or perhaps the wider range of practice areas and departments the firm has in the London office compared to elsewhere?

Reactions: Jaysen and Red

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi guys!

this all sounds like great stuff to me! London is very diverse and multicultural and saying that is by no means too personal - it is a very good reason! Your research does sound intriguing but I think the point you make about diversity and London being a hub are very good indeed. My worry with the research point is it might not stay tightly enough to the question and given the tight word counts, I am unsure it would be the best use of words. You could potentially touch on this though I suppose in saying London at the moment is quite dynamic and it is subject to changes given Brexit and its repercussions - it will be rich for work in regulatory matters etc and you could then use LIBOR as an example!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Red

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.