Why you?

JL

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Hi all,

I'm currently reviewing my answer to this question. I'm wondering whether I should link points raised in answering to how that would make me a strong lawyer at x firm? So, rather than simply answer 'why you?', more 'how are you different to other candidates and why does that make you suited to a career at this firm?'.

Would be interesting to see how others go about answering this one!

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I think it can be a bit of both. Ideally, your strengths should suit any commercial law firm since they all, fundamentally, do the same work. But then, you might narrow it down, especially if you think you suit a specific type of law e.g. transactional/litigation or you have experience in a certain sector the firm is good at.

Having said that though, I think it's perfectly acceptable to not even tailor it to the firm unless they've actually asked you - just so you don't get bogged down too much

JL

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
I think it can be a bit of both. Ideally, your strengths should suit any commercial law firm since they all, fundamentally, do the same work. But then, you might narrow it down, especially if you think you suit a specific type of law e.g. transactional/litigation or you have experience in a certain sector the firm is good at.

Having said that though, I think it's perfectly acceptable to not even tailor it to the firm unless they've actually asked you - just so you don't get bogged down too much

Good point. My answer might get a bit long if I try and link each point back to the company itself. I think I'll go down this route and leave talking specifically about the company to 'why x firm' and 'what makes us different to our competitors' type questions.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.