Winter Vacation Scheme 2018 Thread

Reyak

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2018
Has anyone applied to Simmons & Simmons?
I was just looking over the Simmons & Simmons application form and I was surprised to see there is only one real question: asking to outline interests, activities, achievements and positions of responsibility (and any other info relevant to your application) in 250 words.

Despite this, their website states that "[the application form] will ask you about your academics, work experience, interests and activities as well as your motivation for applying to us."

Do you think they want 'why Simmons & Simmons' incorporated into the interests and activities question, or perhaps the info on the website is outdated and they have since got rid of the motivation question?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I was just looking over the Simmons & Simmons application form and I was surprised to see there is only one real question: asking to outline interests, activities, achievements and positions of responsibility (and any other info relevant to your application) in 250 words.

Despite this, their website states that "[the application form] will ask you about your academics, work experience, interests and activities as well as your motivation for applying to us."

Do you think they want 'why Simmons & Simmons' incorporated into the interests and activities question, or perhaps the info on the website is outdated and they have since got rid of the motivation question?

The latter -- the website is outdated.

Nice one-question application!

Reactions: Salma and Reyak

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I'm looking at the A&O app form: some difficult questions on there this year!

That’s true, especially the question re legal impact/change!

I still believe the Norton Rose application is one of the weirdest I’ve come across. Fair play to those candidates who manage to stand out with just 150words!

Hogan Lovells is very unique to the firm. It’ll be difficult to copy and paste answers.

Jaxkw

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Mar 15, 2018
    That’s true, especially the question re legal impact/change!

I still believe the Norton Rose application is one of the weirdest I’ve come across. Fair play to those candidates who manage to stand out with just 150words!

Hogan Lovells is very unique to the firm. It’ll be difficult to copy and paste answers.
    To be honest I was quite grateful for the shorter wordcount of Norton Rose. Just quite a lot of questions!

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Is it too late to apply for the Norton Rose Fulbright winter vac?? They seem to be rolling
    I'm still applying! They are rolling but they only opened it this month for a month. Worst case scenario, you get your second choice of spring or summer. Not too worse a scenario tbh.

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Rejected from Links and Hogan Lovell on WG benchmark, clearly not my strong point. Did AC at BCLP and there were some very strong candidates. Rejected today. AC at HSF coming up. Still waiting on other apps - feeling deflated already as actually can't see how to stay motivated. It's so hard.

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Rejected from Links and Hogan Lovell on WG benchmark, clearly not my strong point. Did AC at BCLP and there were some very strong candidates. Rejected today. AC at HSF coming up. Still waiting on other apps - feeling deflated already as actually can't see how to stay motivated. It's so hard.

Do Hogan Lovells now send an automated Watson Glaser Test to all candidates? I thought they held telephone/video interviews after a successful app? Once successful, only then do you sit a critical thinking test during the Assessment centre?

In any case, goodluck with rest of your apps!

Last edited:

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Do Hogan Lovells now send an automated Watson Glaser Test to all candidates? I thought they held telephone/video interviews after a successful app? Once successful, only then do you sit a critical thinking test during the Assessment centre?

In any case, goodluck with rest of your apps!
    Thank you. The WG came straight after app so I guess they've changed that method.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    For the chosen firm that I am re-applying to, I have to mention in my app that I applied last year and reached the assessment centre stage, in the same sentence, should I also add what I have been doing since the AC? For example completing a vac scheme and taking part in the AS CAC competition? Or just simply answer the question with the year and stage I reached?

Would love to hear what others think!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    For the chosen firm that I am re-applying to, I have to say I applied last year and reached the assessment centre stage, in the same sentence, should I also add what I have been doing since the AC? For example completing a vac scheme and taking part in the AS CAC competition? Or just simply answer the question with the year and stage I reached?

Would love to hear what others think!

How is the question phrased? If it's just: "Have you applied to the firm before?", a justification would be best left to a cover letter/app form question.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.