Winter Vacation Scheme 2018 Thread

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
Nothing from NRF/Jones Day for winter VS. The equivalent vacation scheme thread on TheStudentRoom seems to be telling a similar story. The wait is... argh!

Re Jones Day, a friend of mine applied on the 15/10/18. Received an email on the 18/10/18 telling her that they have requested an academic reference. She’s heard nothing since the academic request!

Has/did anyone receive an academic request from Jones Day and is this automatic or do they review your app first?

Reactions: GGLove

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Re Jones Day, a friend of mine applied on the 15/10/18. Received an email on the 18/10/18 telling her that they have requested an academic reference. She’s heard nothing since the academic request!

Has/did anyone receive an academic request from Jones Day and is this automatic or do they review your app first?

They did this to me a few years ago (also early November). From the way the email was phrased, I assumed it was automatic and I didn't receive an interview invite until the end of the month.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sandrou

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    They did this to me a few years ago (also early November). From the way the email was phrased, I assumed it was automatic and I didn't receive an interview invite until the end of the month.

That’s very interesting and yes, from the way the email is worded, it seems like it may be automatic but many people have not received the academic request and some have received a straight PFO judging from the student room. Very bizarre!

It’s Jones Day though so I’m not surprised. They do everything differently down there.

GGLove

Jun 20, 2018
    That’s very interesting and yes, from the way the email is worded, it seems like it may be automatic but many people have not received the academic request and some have received a straight PFO judging from the student room. Very bizarre!

It’s Jones Day though so I’m not surprised. They do everything differently down there.
    Same here! My academic reference was sent on the day it was requested, about a month ago. Nothing since :(

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Hmm in that case, perhaps they flag up applicants first (whether alphabetical or by merit i don't know).

And yes haha - JD is definitely an anomaly in the legal market!

PHT

Star Member
    Jun 30, 2018
    I believe so! Could you please confirm this with the GR at the open day P as I would like to know aswell? Thanks in advance.

Not sure what the winter questions were but HSF did a workshop at my university today and said there's only 3 questions for the summer application. Tell us an interesting story, why HSF and I think the third was about a significant challenge. Can't remember the last one for certain but hope it helps!

Reactions: Jaysen

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Not sure what the winter questions were but HSF did a workshop at my university today and said there's only 3 questions for the summer application. Tell us an interesting story, why HSF and I think the third was about a significant challenge. Can't remember the last one for certain but hope it helps!

Thanks! It looks like the questions are very similiar to the winter ones

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.