Winter Vacation Scheme 2018 Thread

Nat

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Hi Nat well done. I have attended an AC at BCLP - nice firm and their AC is fairly standard. You will know from the email they sent you what the tasks are. Mine were the following: a drafting exercise which was not to technical. Just watch your time and try to complete, looking out for salient points. You then have to discuss this with a partner. A negotiation exercise where you are put with another candidate and you argue your side against another two candidates, bearing in mind you need to listen as well as contribute and you have to concentrate on securing the best outcome for your client. You need to come to a mutual agreement to the benefit of your client, so listen as well as participate. It's team work essentially. You need to be persuasive but not argumentative and be able to voice what you think even when others don't agree. A competency interview with the usual questions - Why Law, Why Commercial Law and why BCLP. Prepare as much as possible for competency because anything could crop up depending on what is on your CV.

Hope this helps but I recommend you check exactly what they have said in the email as to how your day will be as format of ACs can vary.
Thank you very much! This is very helpful! :)

P. Dybala

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hi Nat - I dont know when your AC for BCLP is - But I have an open day coming up with them later this month on the 29th... I can surely try to ask the trainees and grad rec team for tips and what sort of stuff should a potential candidate except for the AC and i can relay the information to you?

I hope your ac isn't anytime soon?

• 🤝
Reactions: Nat

Nat

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Hi Nat - I dont know when your AC for BCLP is - But I have an open day coming up with them later this month on the 29th... I can surely try to ask the trainees and grad rec team for tips and what sort of stuff should a potential candidate except for the AC and i can relay the information to you?

I hope your ac isn't anytime soon?
Thank you, this is lovely but it is actually sooner. I hope you enjoy the open day!

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I wanted to know if you have any advice on travers Smith interview, been invited for one next week.

I would look at the interview section/guide on here for TS. Their process hasn’t changed for a while, so in addition to the more recent comments...
One of the more relaxed interviews, as far as interviews can be. The Partners make a real effort to put you at ease and have a conversation. Know your CV well, be able to back up choice, and be prepared to answer the typical why Law, why TS.
Be prepared to get into a mini debate and be pushed on your point of view. So have an opinion and don’t sit on the fence. There aren’t any right or wrong answers. It’s more about how you can think about issues, consider new points/variables.

Reactions: Jaysen

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thank you so much! If you need anything, please do not hesitate to contact me. :)

He has just responded with the following:

1. Be calm and be yourself. You've got this far for a reason.

2.make sure you know your application inside-out. This is crucial. You need to be able to answer questions picked from any part of your application.

3. You want to ensure that you can speak about any of your work experiences/extra curricular activities clearly while setting out the key skills you developed.

4. You need to be up to date with commercial news and be able to communicate why you find the news story interesting and its potential legal/business implications. Make sure it's a story you're genuinely interested in.

5. Have examples of a range of deals the firm has worked on from different practice areas. This doesn't mean you need to know a 1,000 deals. 3-4 should be fine.

6. You MUST prepare for competency questions.

7. Have an understanding of the role of a trainee.

Also, just to add, after attending their open day recently, I agree with everything said above, especially with the commercial news/awareness point. GR team specifically said that they will ask you what you have been following in the press, what your opinion is and at times, you will be pushed out of your comfort zone, stand your ground (!!).

Good luck, if you need anything else, please do let me know :)

• 🏆
  • ℹ️
Reactions: PO499 and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.