Winter Vacation Schemes during the GDL

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Hi, I'm starting the PGDL in sept at BPP and have not yet secured a training contract so will need to be applying to places next cycle. I was wondering how doable a winter VS is during the gdl, is there enough time? does it clash with winter exams? I'm concerned as the timetable, I have seen (not sure if it's 100% correct) states that there will be exams the last 2 weeks of the winter semester which sounds like I won't be able to do any vacations schemes. However, I have heard of loads of people managing to secure TCs from winter vac schemes during their GDL so was wondering if anyone has any advice on this? I don't want to waste time applying to winter VS when I can't even do them!

gg999

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi, I'm starting the PGDL in sept at BPP and have not yet secured a training contract so will need to be applying to places next cycle. I was wondering how doable a winter VS is during the gdl, is there enough time? does it clash with winter exams? I'm concerned as the timetable, I have seen (not sure if it's 100% correct) states that there will be exams the last 2 weeks of the winter semester which sounds like I won't be able to do any vacations schemes. However, I have heard of loads of people managing to secure TCs from winter vac schemes during their GDL so was wondering if anyone has any advice on this? I don't want to waste time applying to winter VS when I can't even do them!

It is only this year with the PGDL that exams are in December. It looks like they will clash with the winter vacation scheme dates so I really doubt you will be able to do any December ones if I am being completely honest. There were people on my winter scheme last year doing the GDL who did not have exams but missed a lot of teaching and fell behind quite a bit, I wouldn't recommend.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.