Work Experience - How far back is it acceptable to go?

Aela_Nox

Future Trainee
May 18, 2019
Hi everyone,

Just wondering - how far back is it acceptable to go when discussing work experience, extra curricular etc in application questions. I'm a little worried as I've been told 12- 18 months max. I graduated a few years ago and I've been in full time employment for just over a year and volunteer on weekends, so those are the majority of my experiences the past 12 months or so. Any insight appreciated, thanks :D

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
I have been told no further back than start of university by quite a few graduate recruiters. I have yet to hear 12-18 months max as it seems quite short to me when I am sure they're not expecting to you have heaps of experience to fill just a year?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

Just wondering - how far back is it acceptable to go when discussing work experience, extra curricular etc in application questions. I'm a little worried as I've been told 12- 18 months max. I graduated a few years ago and I've been in full time employment for just over a year and volunteer on weekends, so those are the majority of my experiences the past 12 months or so. Any insight appreciated, thanks :D

Can definitely go back further than 12-18 months.

Have seen people use examples of a life time commitment to ECs and therefore have explained they got started from the age of 5!!

It is all about what is relevant to you. Don’t include things that have been super-seeded by better or more modern examples, or at least don’t go into detail about them. Don’t just list things out if there is little accomplishment or achievement to them. I’d be far more interested in hearing someone was a county champion runner at the age of 15 than part of a running club at university.

I graduated 15 years ago and I still reference some of the challenging extra curricular activities I did in 2003 (volunteered with child asylum seekers) because they really tested my character and ultimately shaped some of my motivations.

Aela_Nox

Future Trainee
May 18, 2019
I have been told no further back than start of university by quite a few graduate recruiters. I have yet to hear 12-18 months max as it seems quite short to me when I am sure they're not expecting to you have heaps of experience to fill just a year?

That makes sense, phew :)

Can definitely go back further than 12-18 months.

Have seen people use examples of a life time commitment to ECs and therefore have explained they got started from the age of 5!!

It is all about what is relevant to you. Don’t include things that have been super-seeded by better or more modern examples, or at least don’t go into detail about them. Don’t just list things out if there is little accomplishment or achievement to them. I’d be far more interested in hearing someone was a county champion runner at the age of 15 than part of a running club at university.

I graduated 15 years ago and I still reference some of the challenging extra curricular activities I did in 2003 (volunteered with child asylum seekers) because they really tested my character and ultimately shaped some of my motivations.

This is very helpful thank you! I wanted to use experiences in uni/during my LPC as well as they have really helped. I never used them in my applications because I thought they were too old.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That makes sense, phew :)

This is very helpful thank you! I wanted to use experiences in uni/during my LPC as well as they have really helped. I never used them in my applications because I thought they were too old.

Thanks!

Just keep in mind whether they are relevant to you now as a person. Try to not list out superficial things - focus on key achievements if they are older.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.