Work Experience- How much to write

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hey guys!

If you had relatively brief experiences under the work section but there are 250 words available, do you always reach the word limit? I'm wondering if I'm being too short but also want to write concisely and not ramble on.

Are 150 words enough?

Thoughts?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey guys!

If you had relatively brief experiences under the work section but there are 250 words available, do you always reach the word limit? I'm wondering if I'm being too short but also want to write concisely and not ramble on.

Are 150 words enough?

Thoughts?
    In short, yes 150 words is enough. The consensus from most people that I've spoken to is that it is much better to be concise and explain exactly what you did, rather than waffling on :) PS: thank you for the nomination!

Reactions: v123

Dolores

Standard Member
    Nov 11, 2018
    I agree with Daniel, but I would also encourage you to look up the firm's individual prompts and lengths. 250 is standard but be prepared for shorter lengths too. Jones Day allows 75 words only.

Sometimes the instructions are simply "Details," other times, the prompt can be: "Details (nature of work, responsibilities, achievements and skills gained). Additionally, firms (like Shearman) specify that they want you to link how the skills who gained are applicable to law and expect a paragraph in prose per experience.

I used bullet points in some early applications, but I'm not sure if that is good practice.

Reactions: v123

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    I agree with Daniel, but I would also encourage you to look up the firm's individual prompts and lengths. 250 is standard but be prepared for shorter lengths too. Jones Day allows 75 words only.

Sometimes the instructions are simply "Details," other times, the prompt can be: "Details (nature of work, responsibilities, achievements and skills gained). Additionally, firms (like Shearman) specify that they want you to link how the skills who gained are applicable to law and expect a paragraph in prose per experience.

I used bullet points in some early applications, but I'm not sure if that is good practice.
    Amazing- thank you so much

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.